Suggestion for tires? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestion for tires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it sure will

My speedometer is already 2-3 mph high. :( I may just keep the stock tire size until I get my lift, and the tuner for the speedometer.

I run my tomtom 130 more accurate speed than my Speedo anyway.

I don't have money to buy a tomtom, but true it probably is more accurate. Besides, I'm bidding on clear-corners for my X (better place for my money? Dont know :D). Got to do one last modification before the summer months are over. :D
Like I said, I'll just wait until I get my lift, and bigger tires and the tune the speedometer. Speedometer isn't too nessesary except when a cop is sitting on the side of the road. :D

I have the Goodyear Duratracs in the 265's. Awesome tire plus they are snow rated too. Ive sent these tires through mud, sand, snow, rocks, and they never had a problem. They are pretty quiet on the highway too.

PA130015.jpg

the change in the speedo won't be that much but if it concerns you, you can have it reset. I have heard that the dealerships will do it, but I don't know for how much. I guess you could also do it yourself, but I don't remember how. I think it has something to do with the ABS. And for the running boards, definitely lose them. It's less weight, I never used mine, and I couldn't roll under the truck with them on. Taking them off has been one of my better decisions with it, unlike mowing a pile of gravel right next to it...

Yeah, I just don't know where to store them. They are a good 4-6ft and take up a lot of room. I'll have to work on that one of these days.

i just put a set of the hankook dynapros on my ex. so far they seem to be a great tire. not much noise and they look great. i went from a 235/70 to a 245/75/16.

It'd be nice if I had the money to get that speedometer tuned if I got larger tires, but I'll stick with the 235/70/16 for now.
Removing running boards today. Found room to store them, that way, when I go to sell the car it'll be worth more with em on.

And for the running boards, definitely lose them. It's less weight, I never used mine, and I couldn't roll under the truck with them on. Taking them off has been one of my better decisions with it, unlike mowing a pile of gravel right next to it...
Took the running boards off this weekend :D
2454m.jpg

I will say this much... these all-weathers did pretty good off-road a few days ago. But I need something with more aggressive tread.
i just put a set of the hankook dynapros on my ex. so far they seem to be a great tire. not much noise and they look great. i went from a 235/70 to a 245/75/16.
I saw a picture of your X, and those are some good looking tires on there. I may get a set of those. :)

so far the tires i got have been great not much road roise at all. icecube where did you get your grill?

Bought the grille on ebay from this seller:
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/e-shoppingcart/
Upper Grille
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILLET-GRILLE-GRILL-02-05-FORD-Explorer-NO-CUT-03-04-/230507760277?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories
Bumper Grille
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILLET-GRILLE-GRILL-02-05-FORD-Explorer-Bumper-03-04-/230414878342?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories
Looks like prices went up...I got my bumper grille for $15.99, now its $19.99. They look good and are suprisingly cheap. Just beware...the instructions suck.

Nate, how much life do you have left on your current tires ???

i def agree with your earlier post, about waiting for the tires/lift at the same time... thats my plan as well. when i bought my X, the dealer was advertising new tires for all SUV / Truck Purchases, so i just lucked out on a free fresh set of shoes and wasnt going to complain lol.

-I'd say theres about 45-55% tread life left without taking a look. I'll go look at the tires and give a better estimate.
-There is enough tread that I can possibly get through this winter, if there's not too much snow. I don't know how long they've been on, or how many miles are on them.
-They aren't too bad tires. Did do good off-roading up in the Uintas. Only issue is these tires are definately out-of-round.

If you havent made a choice yet, i suggest GENERAL GRABBER HTS' i have a set in 245/65/17, and i love them, great ride, and awesome grip.

P.S. mine are extra load, sont know if that affects anything, just got em cause they were out of regular ones.

I have the Goodyear Duratracs in the 265's. Awesome tire plus they are snow rated too. Ive sent these tires through mud, sand, snow, rocks, and they never had a problem. They are pretty quiet on the highway too.

PA130015.jpg

i think those are the tires I am going to buy.

For the duratracs....
The size (for stock hieght) I can get is LT245/75R16

Well...those duratracs in the 245's are only a temp range C. I want a temp range B.
So my search for tires is still on. Any other suggestions are welcomed. Remember mud and snow tires, 245/75/16 is what I want to get and a temp B range.

I need tires and definitely gotta get them before the snow flies. I've narrowed it down to 2 finalists:

HANKOOK DYNAPRO ATM RF10
or
FIRESTONE DESTINATION A/T

Don't know what one I'm going to get but I do know that the snow will be here before I know it. - Rondo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was thinking of some hankooks. I need something with aggressive tread so I can hit the mud holes. My tracker 2's which are old as the hills don't do great in the mud.
These are what I have in mind....Hankook dynapro MT RT03
48&wid=248&op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.jpg

Back