• Register Today It's free!

Tire Styles

Derekbrue

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericksburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer xls
So it's time to purchase new tires, and I'm in need of opinions before purchasing. I have a set of Goodyear Duratrac's at my shop I ordered to simply check out in person and I really like the tire, but at $200 each I'm kind of exploring my options. I won't be doing much (if any) off roading, other than the dirt road I live on, but I really like all terrain tires. I guess I'm looking for a tire with an aggressive sidewall for the looks without the HARSH RIDE OF A 10 OR 8 PLY TIRE. Any suggestions or reccomendations? I was also looking at the Bridgestone revo's. Thanks in advance.
Derek

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Treadwright Wardens would also be a good choice and I think you'll like the price.

Never heard of it, is that a re-tread? I'll look into those thanks.

www.tirerack.com for all your tire needs.

Yeah, my company deals with American Tire Distributors (who also owns tirebuyer.com) and they can get us near dealership pricing, but they do not deal a few vendors like pro comp or toyo I'll scan through there options to see what I find. Thanks guys, will update with pictures this weekend, I'll be doing the tires and a btf spacer lift Saturday or Sunday.

I have the AT2s, and if you're just doing basic dirt roads, I wouldn't necessarily recommend them because they do noticeably increase road noise. So, I wouldn't want that extra road noise if I wasn't really going to offroad the tire. The AT2s are a good tire though.

You could look at Cooper AT3, Cooper ST Maxx and Hankook Dynapro ATMs. The Hankooks are chinese, but they have an aggressive-ish sidewall and a descent looking tread. Lots of people where I live have the Hankooks, and they don't seem to be too bad. Also, tons of the oil trucks and Super Dutys where I live run the ST Maxx, and I've heard rave reviews on various forums. Then, the AT3 I recommend because it's not a super HD offroad tire, but it can hold its own, and I has a 55k warranty.

EDIT: Maybe check out that new BFG 'Rugged Terrain' too. It has a fancy sidewall, while still being a mostly on-road tire.

Never heard of it, is that a re-tread? I'll look into those thanks.

They are retreads....I had a great experience with them on my last truck. Do a google search and I think you'll find the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

I have the AT2s, and if you're just doing basic dirt roads, I wouldn't necessarily recommend them because they do noticeably increase road noise. So, I wouldn't want that extra road noise if I wasn't really going to offroad the tire. The AT2s are a good tire though.

You could look at Cooper AT3, Cooper ST Maxx and Hankook Dynapro ATMs. The Hankooks are chinese, but they have an aggressive-ish sidewall and a descent looking tread. Lots of people where I live have the Hankooks, and they don't seem to be too bad. Also, tons of the oil trucks and Super Dutys where I live run the ST Maxx, and I've heard rave reviews on various forums. Then, the AT3 I recommend because it's not a super HD offroad tire, but it can hold its own, and I has a 55k warranty.

EDIT: Maybe check out that new BFG 'Rugged Terrain' too. It has a fancy sidewall, while still being a mostly on-road tire.

The Cooper AT3 and Dynapro ATM's are much less aggressive looking than the Cooper ST Maxx and General Grabber AT2s though. If he's looking at Duratracs I don't think road noise is a big concern.

IMO if you've got the $$ go for the Duratracs.

Tires

I like my Firestone Destination LE's.
Jeep Grand Cherokee. Just a RWD.

Thanks for everyone's input. I ordered a set of Bridgestone duelers to take a look at them tomorrow. I'm not too concerned with road noise mainly because I very rarely drive on the interstate. I've had the Ex for 3 months now and have only been on I-95 twice. I just wasn't too sure about an 8 or 10 ply tire. I like the Duratrac's because they're a six ply, I really like the style/reviews on the rugged terrain but I don't like the idea of a 10 ply ride on such a light truck. My co worker just bought a set on cooper at3's (6 ply, not standard load) and he likes them so far. I'm glad I have the luxury of ordering tires to simply look at them, but it also makes the hunt that much harder. Hah, I do like the price and options of the retreads, but I don't want issues with them 6 months from now considering all my kids ride in the vehicle along with my pregnant wife. What's everyone's opinion (if any) on Mastercraft AXT's?

Sorry, I just realized I contradicted myself with the road noise comment, I just do not want a harsh ride since I most likely will not be driving fast enough to hear road noise. --corrected in original post--
Thanks again for everyone's input, you guys are saving me lots of time (and money) of searching through every thread and wasting money on junk tires, I really appreciate everyone's opinions here.
Regards,
Derek

i dont notice any road noise from y at2s. at all pressures ranging from 18psi to 40 psi inflated

I have the Cooper Discoverer AT3. They survived me beating them through Moab, a cross country trip through a Colorado snow storm, and whatever other on and off road abuse I have put them through. I have about 15,000 miles on them and by the looks of the tread I should make it to the 55,000 mile life expectancy.

I have BFG all terrains. Love them. Put 265-75-16s on. Have had them for 1 1/2 years now, and they still look awesome. I would have to figure out mileage, but I live in MT. Everything is an hour away haha so I drive a lot.

.......................You could look at Cooper AT3, Cooper ST Maxx and Hankook Dynapro ATMs. The Hankooks are chinese..........

Hankook is a South Korean co.They have manufacturing facilities in,S.Korea,PRC,and Hungary.They are currently in the process of opening a facility in Indonesia,and Tennessee.It's just a matter of looking at the sidewall,and making sure,the tire is not manufactured in China.They were schooled by Michelin engineers.

I just got Firestone Desination AT's 265 - 70 - R16 for $536 even Mounted & Balanced with new valve stems. The speedo is off by 1 mph from 60~70mph and then 2mph from 70~80mph...

Road noise is much less than the cheap HT tires that were on it...

The reason I bought the 265's is because the truck came with them, didn't realize is supposed to be 245's till I ordered them, and, they fill the wheel wells quite nicely.

Also got Lifetime Alignment for $140. :D

(we have these tires on our suburban and they are now 3 years old with over 50,000 miles on them. They are at 50% life with slight dry rot around the edges...)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back