Sync 3 and Navigation Map Updates | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 and Navigation Map Updates

I have a 2017 and was looking into this update, but after reading the comments here I'm not going to spend $109 for a map version that's only a year newer and almost 2 years out of date. Good grief!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2017 and was looking into this update, but after reading the comments here I'm not going to spend $109 for a map version that's only a year newer and almost 2 years out of date. Good grief!
If you have Sync 3, you also have CarPlay. CarPlay + Phone + Waze= far more up to date and accurate than any nav system will ever be. You also get the added benefits of realtime traffic, speed trap, and route information. The onboard Nav is fine for local-fish trips because main roads don't change that frequently.

Sadly I have to agree with you on this. I didn't notice any major or noteworthy changes and a few local businesses that really aren't all that new (were probably open the last time they updated) still weren't added. If you're somewhere a lot of roads were completed it might be nice but only in cases like that. We're about to open a new 22 mile section of freeway so oh well!

I made the same decision. Just didn't seem like a good value.

Is the NA-19 update out? I have received emails and a letter about an available update recently.

Yes 1-19 Maps are available now.

Where do you get the nav update. Just updated Sync in my 2019, but maps is still NA1 17 version. Is it still a free update for 19s?

You can’t for SYNC3. You are at the mercy of when the nav vendor does the update which is way too infrequent. I got my 2018 Sport in August 2018 and it had a 2016 Database. Even the one that was supposedly released in the fall of 2019...not all VINS are part of the update. That database had a 1/2028 date. We are in 2020 still running 2018 map database. So even the update you get for your 2018 will most likely have a 2018 database date which is still two years out of date.

SYNC2/MFT is the only system that can be updated with the SD card.....

sorry!

It is a start but we are almost 2021 and still running a 2019 map database. I am out of the Ford family
Now but at least give people a choice of paying or not at least make something available. I am not saying every month but every year.

Ok, nice... I just bought my used 2019 last week. Updated Sync on the FordOwners site, are the Nav map updates found on the ford owners site aswell? TIA

I gave you the site for the maps.

Wow 1.5 hour update time possibly....
That's why I haven't installed it yet. It's been on my USB flash drive for all this time but I'm not prepared to let my vehicle idle for that long nor do I have my planned trips. Unlike the Sync software update, the problem with the map update is that it won't restart from the point it left off if the vehicle is turned off before the download is completed. You have to begin all over again the way I understand it.

Peter

That's why I haven't installed it yet. It's been on my USB flash drive for all this time but I'm not prepared to let my vehicle idle for that long nor do I have my planned trips. Unlike the Sync software update, the problem with the map update is that it won't restart from the point it left off if the vehicle is turned off before the download is completed. You have to begin all over again the way I understand it.

Peter

I agree Peter. I think I'll also download it and wait till I have a longer road trip to do before letting the vehicle idle that long, yikes...

Will a charger on the battery suffice, or do you have to have the engine running. I dont have navigation and only did the upgrade to 20136.
I usually hook up a small charger to battery when using forscan and updates. Just a thought

Joe, I believe the vehicle has to be running according to the instructions.

Peter

I checked the ford website and in the instructions it doesn’t state to start, but looking at possible error codes, it does say “start the engine”
Just to clarify

If you want the 2019 maps you can use this tool:

I just used it on my 2017 to update from Sync 3 to 3.4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got a notice on the Ford Pass app that there is a map update.

Is this NA 1 19? Has anyone tried to download it yet?

Just curious.

Back