The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread

Okay, accepting that it is a 99 trans harness, check the engine harness too. Disconnect it and locate pins 30 and 33. The later harness will have no wires in those locations.

I'd say that the 1996/97 computer needs a ground at the #33 pin, and the pin 30 octane adjust shorting bar input circuit is probably needed also. The examples of other pre 1998 Explorers with later 4R70W's in them(with 96/97 PCM) likely have the 96/97 wiring harnesses, so they have those two circuits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please don't confuse the following with information, knowledge, experience or facts. This is more like questions.

Drawings of the tabled connectors can be found in Post #31 of this thread.

Ford4R70WTransmissionConnectorC111F.jpg

The Transmission had nine active leads lead to the PCM in '96 and '97, in '98 - '01 it had 7 active leads through Connector C115, every pin different in function except for the trans temp sensor.

The early transmission had a transmission range sensor . . . that is the plastic housed 'switch' on the shift shaft of the 4R70W. It provides the ignition control for starting in Park and Neutral and the back up lights activation.

The later, '98-'01 series had the same type switch device on the side of the transmission but now called it a DIGITAL Transmission Range Sensor with 4 leads to, in addition to the above, the PCM that do not route through the above C115 connector but through C112 and C116 to the PCM. See Post #27 for the PCM connections.

The PCM connections are:

Pins....Ckt......Wire
2........656.....PK/LG....DTR Sensor TR1
49......1145....LB/BK....DTR Sensor TR2
50......1143....W/BK....DTR Sensor TR4
64......199......LB/Y.....DTR Sensor Input

. . . and here is the connector face drawing:

Ford4R70WTransmissionConnectorC112.jpg

. . . and the full schematic for the late sensor and harness:

Ford4R70WTransmissionControls.jpg

If only I had the same for the early series.

I believe all that to be correct but do not understand how an early PCM can possibly play with a later transmission without significant wiring and software changes.

Someone please show me where I am wrong.

It appears obvious that the C115 pins must be rearranged but the remaining question is: can the early PCM function without the DTRS?

Im here, just let me read the thread and see what exactly is up lol

Just got home sorry I didn't get time to mess with mine. We ended up fixing a 98 xls that had a bent knuckle with the boss for the tie rod broken off and a twisted lower control arm. Good times. But I did move my truck and noticed it is rich and idles at about 900 rpm. Just some symptoms. I'll look harder tomorrow.

I still haven't decided what im gonna do. I have been busy with other things but I plan on trying to figure it out tonight and over the weekend. I still cant find a pinout for the connection between the trans and motor harness. I think that's where I need to start because the few people that have made a 96/97 pcm work with a 98/01 trans have been using 96/97 harnesses. My trans harness already matches my tranny so I think if i start where it connects to the motor harness and make that match the 97 then go up to the pcm plug and do the same I just might be ok.

I have a 98 trans harness home with me that I can repin if i had the schematic.

this is just the thread I needed. I have a few odd ball codes on my 98 ranger. running a 97 explorer 5.0 and a 2000 4r70w

Lmao yea you fit in here real good

I thought so with my fraken-5.0-swap truck. But on the up side ive got a fair amount of knowledge of what all works and what doesnt

I thought so with my fraken-5.0-swap truck. But on the up side ive got a fair amount of knowledge of what all works and what doesnt

Welcome, and congrats on the swap.

Did you learn much about the wiring differences between the 96/97 PCM, and later 98, 99-01's? What wiring harness did you use for the engine, and the trans?

Did you do any rewiring besides moving the wires at the trans case connector? Did you leave the other 96/97 wires alone in the harness, if you used that harness?

Awesome tell us what you have figured out

Post #31 has the face drawings and the pin labels. These two must be made to match PCM/Harness/Transmission that you will be using.

We were all hoping that you would get yours running and let us know what worked.

Actually I just learned about the trans harness wiring issues. I am fixing that right now. But I am running the 97 trans harness with its range sensor. 97 motor harness mated to my 98 truck side harness. Had two redo the alternator wiring as it runs though a plug on the driver side fender well and rangers run it though the plug. Just a two wire splice and one of those wires can run though the plug again.

The biggest issue between the early and late wiring systems is the injector harness, the cam sync plug. The rest will work. For the record I am actually running that internal fuel tank regulator as 99 and up would have feeding a pressure regulator on the rail used on the 97 fuel rails. Works just fine once I ran a return line. Its really not work swapping to all 99 and up stuff to avoid a fuel return line. Especially with PATS.

My wiring knowledge may vary from yours as I adapted to a ranger which is slightly different on the vehicle side than an explorer

Thats just it. Its not that simple on mine that is how to make it work with the 97 harnesses. The way to look at mine is everything is 98 spec. with a 97 pcm. So if I get 97 harnesses and range sensor that would work but I would have problems with the egr crap. ...hold on! I just picked up the trans harness I got from Jon and it has a white plug..isn't that a 97 harness?

look at the trans control plug, if position 4 is empty its 98 and earlier. if its used then its late 98 and up

Do you have a fuel return line? if not I can tell you every thing I did for the 5.0 swap?

Thats just it. Its not that simple on mine that is how to make it work with the 97 harnesses. The way to look at mine is everything is 98 spec. with a 97 pcm. So if I get 97 harnesses and range sensor that would work but I would have problems with the egr crap. ...hold on! I just picked up the trans harness I got from Jon and it has a white plug..isn't that a 97 harness?

My guess is that there is more different in the harnesses than just the trans wiring. If others have used the 96/97 harness with success(only moving the wires at the trans case connector), then right now you should have a properly working trans.

Ok I have a white plug that matches the 96/97 pinout a range sensor with f-7L stamped and p-7f293-aa but the plug on it matches the later plug. Jon said maybe late 97 ? So im gonna repin the case plug on it and give that a shot. Its my own fault for not swapping it out when i did the motor harness I just assumed 98 up it must be the same as the 99 that's already there. Thats what I get for thinkin.

Oh this is sitting on my kitchen table. I just brought it home to look at. My dumb ass left the 99 tranny harness on cause I thought 98 and 99 tranny harness are the same

So you have a 99 harness on a 97 explorer? That explains my confusion a little bit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok I have a 97 explorer sport. The drive train is 99 5.0 the pcm is 97 5.0 the fuel system is 97 5.0 the motor harness is 98 5.0 to match the early injectors and cam syncro and external egr. I screwed up I think by not using the 98 trans harness. I kept the 99 trans harness cause I thought they were the same. I also did the same small changes to the motor harness like the altenator A/C and oil pressure.

Back