The ROCKET part deux | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The ROCKET part deux

Well as most of you know by now my old explorer that you used to see in my avatar and that i made quite a few videos of and put ALOOOOT of money into has been totalled out due to a bad car accident. Well it just so happens that i was able to acquire an 03 V-8 4.6 liter black explorer for a a decent price a shade under the price of a HOUSE!!! lol. Well anyways. Just to let some of you know my old stuff that was almost completely installed in the old 5.0 X is not going to go into the new 4.6 liter X. Instead that is going into a 5.0 mustang project later on in a while. As for my plans for the explorer,.........Well they are serious and very drastic. They will be not be abel to be started till about one or twoyears from now but when i do it will be a pretty fast progression when i can start it. The project mainly consists of one of two plans that i have thought of but still undecided. One is to keep my stock Romeo 4.6 aluminum block and drop in low compression forged internals and top it off with DOHC Cobra heads that have had some adjusting. And then of course top it off with a Kenne Bell Twin screw supercharger at about 17 or 18 psi of boost. The other plan is to somehow come across an 03 cobra lower engine assembly minus the roots charger and then tweak that engine a little and then install a Kene Bell blowzilla charger just like the first plan and crank it to 17 or so psi. And then there comes the possibility of me just getting full aftermarket 4 valve heads instead of messing with the Cobra heads. Alot of you are probably saying. MAN THAT IS ALOT OF MONEY!!! Yeah it is. But i have plans for that. Along with that of course comes the other stuff when you plan on making that much horsepower. first would be to send my tranny off to Lentech or another reputable tranny builder. Or maybe just order another whole built tranny completely separate from the stock one. I will have to work those details out later. Then of course comes the custom driveline components, and the built rear end. Yeah it is IRS. But i can deal with it. I know this will take alot of time and even more money but i am really serious about it, especially being that i was days away from completing my 5.0 explorer supercharger project when i wrecked that truck. So i feel like it is a personal challenge now. There are alot of details i left out that might want to be mentioned but that is it for now. I just wanted to give you all the heads up that i will be competing for the fastest 4th gen explorer here in a few years. Sounds like a long time and it is but i will stick to it. You all just have to be patient. MY lst charger project took about a full year if anyone was following that one since the beginning. And it was sooooooo close to being done. Well anyways just hit me up if you want to know anything about what i got planned or any other questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by blk mk8
hey rob if you still have your old injectors i sent you. you can keep them for when you do a dohc cobra swap in your truck as they are 03 cobra injectors.

Thanks Dan but I actually am going to be building the 03 Kenne Bell Cobra Explorer. And am buying a probably 95 mustang GT or Cobra and going to buy the supercharger mounting kit for it and then throw all of my parts including the injectors onto that one. That way I can have two blown vehicles instead of just one! Of course it will be funny when pelple ask me which one is faster and I say "The explorer." lol. So here in about another year and a half be expecting a call from me as I will be probably taking a trip down to Miami area to visit yall and see what the process would be for installing that bad boy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just let me know when you are ready. your truck will move pretty good with that setup. plus you can ride in my brother truck with a turbo.

plus you can ride in my brother truck with a turbo.
You know it!!! I been waiting for two years to take a ride in Troll let alone Turbo Troll. Man I cannot wait to get that new engine in my truck!!! 550 rwhp will make me pretty happy I think. lol. Oh and of course if you have your new mk8 ready by then I would loooove to take a ride in that too. I would ask to have a ride in the stang but being that it has a T76 & 347 stroker and such I am betting it doesnt contain a passenger seat anymore. lol. Besides I think THAT would be asking too much. lol. But hey I got to ask! lo.

Oh by the way I was hoping I would not do it being that it is my only current transportation while over here but I am already practicing powershifting my 300E. lol. Man I got to stop this racing crap!! All I need is to kill the tranny in this car!. lol Man I would be in trouble then!

our mustang does have two front seats. it is designed to be a top end car for silver state classic and other such events. it has a full blown supension for top and handling with big brakes and seats to match. it has enuf gear to go 210. the mustang will be more streetable then my lincoln will be.

our mustang does have two front seats.

the mustang will be more streetable then my lincoln will be.

Hey buddy ***nudge nudge*** Nice stang ya got there.

So is the lincoln out of the shop with its cage in yet? I know you had said something about the explorer waiting to get in the shop after the lincoln was done last time we talked on the phone. I take it that is why you both chose this timeline so as to install the new engine components (turbo) and also make it track legal? If the stang will be more streetable then the lincoln when it is done just how serious are ya getting with it? I mean it is not everyday you see a 1000 hp stang let alone a lincoln that is "LESS STREETABLE" than it.

well nothing is set in stone yet but trust me the mustang is the nicest car we have ever built. it was designed to be the ultimite street car so nomatter what my lincoln has it will never be as nice and besides i put half as much in my lincoln. when you come down you will understand it more and yes my cage is done but i am not even close to being done yet. the resone my brother does not have his turbo on yet is because he has not sold his old blower kit or headers yet and we can not start untill then.

I would figure one of these new guys on here ranting about wanting a supercharger for their 5.0 explorer would be trying to snap it up right now! I guess there are alot more people who talk and less who act. If I was in the market for a another centrifugal charger for the 5.0 application I would have already offered ya a price for it. But since I have decided with a positive displacement charger.

there are a lot of pro's to both and we have proven it make boost right away. we figured that for the price with all the nice aluminum tubes and blow off valve and pulleys that some one would want it but i think people think it is some kind of race kit becuase it was on my brother truck and are intimidated by the thought of buying his old blower. it is a plain jain S-trim a standered in the 5.0 community much like a e-cam and gt-40 heads. i think you get what you pay for and life.

are intimidated by the thought of buying his old blower. it is a plain jain S-trim a standered in the 5.0

WHAAAAT? You mean that the S didnt stand for SUPER-trim??? lol. Yeah i hear ya there. It is just a gear drivn charger rated to be able to withstand 20 lbs of boost. It doesnt mean that you have to pulley it for that much. lol. Some people just dont know enough on a subject(like nitrous for instance) and thus are sooo afraid to even try it, and hence it gets a bad rap. All this engine stuff is really simple.
If people would just sit down and look at stuff, maybe even tear some things apart and try to learn the basics of how their engine works and why then they would not be so afraid to go in and tackle a simple blower install. I am sure one of these guys will come around once we have talked a little sense into them.

Confidence is just as important as knowledge.

nope. You should know why most people are scared to do stuff like that... If you HAPPEN to mess something up, it can easily cost you A LOT of money or leave you without a car. Thats enough to make me sure if what i'm doing before i start taking stuff apart. I have enough engine knownledge now to install a blower... but I probably didn't a year ago. Don't talk sense into 'them', they'll end up without a car :)

Well since you know how to install a blower then you know how easy it is. I mean fairly simple bracketry and with instructions makes it even easier. As long as they dont rush it then it will turn out fine. If these people do care about their cars then they will bother to find out the info about what they need to do so as not to mess it up. I mean all I did was just call around and take a good loooooong look at my engine and what type of connections certain things had. That is it. And being that these guys got another one up which is that they have people with previous exoerience on this board installing blowers like Bill and Dan, ME, Pur pony, Dominic, James T, and many more than that i am too lazy to list right now. The hardest part is getting the ball rolling and to not get afraid. As long as you know what you are doing then you shoudlnt be too afraid. I do know what you are talking about the whole car thing. I was going through the same things when I was messing around with my blower install. But through talking to others and looking at my engine alot, I finally got the whole picture and wasnt afraid anymore to do it. I think the best thing to really get to understand your engine is to just take a good look at it. That and proper planning and anyone that isnt braindead should be able to do it as long as it is not rushed.

Back