Trailmaster '98-'00 update... | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailmaster '98-'00 update...

Ray, how is the lift doing? Have you been out and tested it yet? Have you had to make any changes or modifications since it was done?

I also remember seeing a pic somewhere of the rear swaybar link (I think it was your rig) and it looked like you have a SOA conversion with your rear leafs. Is this true and if so, where did you get it?

Do you have anymore completed pics of the rig with tires and wheels and everything else done that is in your profile?

Take your time, I know there is alot there to answer if you have the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Mike,
Well, I did get it back, but we have a few problems. Yes I did have to do some minor alterations on the rear torsion bar brackets. I haven't had the chance to take pictures of it but it will be pretty self explanatory on what had to be done. Basicly we had to add a piece of angle iron in the bracket to keep the pork chop from moving around and also cut and moved the torsion bracket adjusting mechanism to straighten it up, instead if it being at an angle. This gave me alot more lift then before. I have pictures of before and will take pictures of what my mechanic did.I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, because I have a leak in the rear output shaft seal on the Atlas transfercase so I have to take it back and have it replaced. I have one other problem which it the steering is binding somewhat. We don't know if it is a result of the body lift or the steering mechanism from the suspension lift. I have driven it around and it has gotten better, but it won't return to straight position coming out of a turn. It goes back some what, but in like before. I put acouple of pictures up on the before and after forum.
Oh the SOA is Juan Felamann's truck, mine is still a Spring Under setup.

Hey Ray, Mark here. Just wanted to let you know of the 'problem' with the Trailmaster sliding rack system in your Exporer. The bind you feel in the steering is due to the extremely close tolerences in the shaft and the bronze bushings they use inside the sleeve. If you have it taken apart and then have them hone the inside of the bushing with something VERY fine like a brake hone with lots of oil, it'll smooth that bind out for ya'...Mark

Ray, I talked to Torrey at FST who has done a couple of the late model conversions. He agrees with Mark as to what the problem is, but he said to drive it for about 3000 miles to let it wear itself in instead of increasing the clearances with a hone. He said if you go to far it will feel loose and sloppy. He also wanted to make sure that it was greased well.

Ray, could it be due to the fact that your crossmember was bent? I am not experiencing any binding or problems with my steering. The only noticeable difference was the slight change on my steering circle.

Hi Friends, hate to change the focus of this string and belabor the issue, but any word on the Trailmaster kit. Has anyone ordered it? installed it? anything it? Does anyone have any news regarding it? Has anyone tried ordering it from the national tire site? Does anyone know where an eager customer can get more information? Timelines? Dates? Any morsel of info would be appreciated.

The conversions that Ray and Juan have done are getting to be more tempting, but I'm still trying to be patient. Thanks for the time and effort.

Rick, Mark
It is getting better as I drive it, and yes We did make sure that it had enough grease. What Juan was saying about my crossmember has entered our minds. We don't think that is the problem yet but still haven't ruled it out, only because it is getting better. If the cross member was bent enough for it to cause the binding that it had when we first tried it out, I don't think it would have gotten better. We're still playing with it. Even before the steering link was installed, it was very hard to push it back and forth.

Ray, out of curiosity, did you ever find out how much a new cross member from Ford would cost?

Juan,
They won't sell just the crossmember because it's part of the frame. They would sell me a whole new frame.

Let me check, and I'll get back to you...

Trailmaster Lift

The R,

This is not the first time I have heard from this site that TrailMaster is slow. I guess I did not want to belive it. I ordered the 98-00 Explorer lift on sept. 7th from national tire. Free shipping but... it has to be shipped freight (with a bunch of other stuff that national tire ordered) which will go to MD or VA or something like that, once it gets there it will be shipped to me in IL. I call about 2 times a week to check the status of the order. I talked with Dave at national tire and he was told that they are waiting on some part that is common between the F150 lift and the Explorer Lift. I have also talked with the customer support for the eastern US at trailmaster, she told me toinght that she can no longer give out that type of information without a PO number. I just hope I get it by Thanksgiving so I can put it on over the long weekend.

Anyway if anyone has any more questions or answers let me know.

Doug

Would it be possible for this kit to work with a 2wd?

thanks
travis

No, but there is a 2wd kit available from Fabritech.

Fabtech

does the one from fabtech work with a 98 2wd sport?

Juan, your truck...

...looks awesome!! Are you going to Moab next May?

Anyway, any update on the Trailmaster lift? And what about the price? I wonder if I have time to install it before Moab. (picture me daydreaming with my feet on my desk):D...

does Fabtech have a kit now because i have contacted them before and they didnt have anything. Thanks SEAL

Trailmaster Kit Pricing ... Group Purchase?

Is there enough demand here to do a group purchase for the '98-'00 trailmaster kit? Who has the best pricing on this kit? I have found one for $1350.00.

Mark, you should start a sperate thread about that. You may get some good response.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back