Trailmaster '98-'00 update... | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailmaster '98-'00 update...

Looks just like my pup Ray!!

Tell them to keep up the good work, and to hurry up!!!

You machine is going to kick ass!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where's your shock absorber?

What stops the suspension at max droop? The shocks, sway bars or tbars? Is there a stop somewhere? I removed my F/R sway bars and worried that might put too much stress on my shocks at max droop.

Looks good, I saw the Trailmaster 4" on a '99 Ranger at Hank's a few weeks ago. Looked nice, but needed a body lift.

Was that kit a one man job or did part of the install require two people? How long did it take? Sorry for all the questions, I am interested in getting the kit. It will fit my Sport.

Also, are the Trailmaster shocks supplied longer or is there a new shock mount?

Where's your shock absorber?
It's not on there yet.

What stops the suspension at max droop? The shocks, sway bars or tbars? Is there a stop somewhere? I removed my F/R sway bars and worried that might put too much stress on my shocks at max droop.
The CV is what defines max droop. That is the max that it will move.

Was that kit a one man job or did part of the install require two people? How long did it take? Sorry for all the questions, I am interested in getting the kit. It will fit my Sport.
Because there will be some modifying and welding of the lift, I am having it professionaly installed, however for the most part if you had a couple of good floor jacks you might be able to do it with one person. I would suggest having two people to help with holding the differantial and a few other heavy things. I would think it might be hard putting the brackets on the front diff. You gotta remember that I have a 97 and the rear torsion bar setup is differant that the 98-00, which the kit is made for.

Also, are the Trailmaster shocks supplied longer or is there a new shock mount?
The shocks are longer, but in my case I can not use the rear shocks from the Ranger kit, because it is a SOA setup and I am staying with a SUA setup. I had to buy new rear shocks, which will be Rancho 9000's. sometime in the future I will have a set of Ranchos modified with the 4" rod welded to the lower shock mount like our normal shocks have to clear the CV. Right now rancho doesn't make one. I'm going to haveto use the SSV for the moment. The Explorer kit will have longer shocks front and rear as it is a SUA setup. hope this helps. :)

Ray, checkout the part #s for the front shocks ion my truck. I did not have any problems with those on mine, so they should fit you!!

9112, 01459

Good luck!!

Hey Juan,
Your rear shocks just might fit mine also. I just noticed that your shock mounts are still under the axle.

Correct, they actualy used the same mounts, but flipped!! Even if you notice the rangers, their mount is under the axle. Also the rangers don't do an SOA, they already are SOA.

Good luck!

By the way, mine is running fine so far. I took it wheeling to a great spot 2 weeks ago, and it was the best ever.

This weekend I'm going to Pismo beach, so we'll see how I do in the sand!!

Partial Kit?

Does anyone know if you can buy half of a lift kit? I had custom rear leafs put on my 98 Sport to level the truck after my torsion lift. They rearched the back mono leaf and added a custom add-a-leaf. When they were finished it lifted the back a total of 4 ½ inches. I really like the way it drives and its finally level. (no rear end sag.) So I was wondering if I can buy just the front pat of any lift kit. I could always add warrior shackles in the rear to raise it more if I need to. O and by the way does anyone make a spindle lift?

Ya, the spindle kit is for 2wd only. It is a Pro Comp Kit.

Ray, you da man! Thanks for clearing that up for me. One more question, what stops them in back?

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport
One more question, what stops them in back?

Do you mean What stops the rear axle? The leaf springs do.

Ok, that's what I thought. So, if my springs extend farther than my shocks is that ok or am I going to bust a shock? When I put my shackels on, the spring extended about an 1" farther than my shock.

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 08-30-2000 at 08:02 PM]

Well, It depends on a few factors.
How hard did the axle come down? You know is there enough force to pull the shock apart.
Do you regularly do this? The more times you max extend the shock, the more likely you are to break it.

BTW the front portion of the suspension lift and body lift are finished. Still waiting for the 4" skyjacker rear springs to get here. Im' still waiting for my Atlas II transfercase to arrive also( hopefully be here by Friday).
I won't be able to see her until Friday. I'll try and take some better shots. The last ones turned out too dark.
For all you 95-97 owners I will try and give you as much info as I can on what they did to the rear portion of the torsion bar mechanism to get the kit to work. Pictures soon. :)
Between Juan and I, we should have all the answers to your questions and more specifically a way for you guys to get this done with alot less effort than it took us to get ours done. I hope this encourages the rest to go out and get this done. We've been waiting for this lift to happen for a looooonnng time. If we don't take advantage of this. It will be alot longer if ever on the next generation lifts.
For you 98-00 owners, after looking at the setup, I can't help but think that, this can be done at home, with a few extra jacks and jack stands. There is nothing for you to modify, for you just bolt it on, get an alignment and your ready to go. Word of Warning here. If you have dammage (big dents)to your front crossmember. They HAVE TO BE STRAIGHTEN OUT or you won't be able to put the steering rail through it. Hope all of this helps. At least you'll get the information before the discount becomes available. :)

Actually it's a Rebate.

Jim Chick finally wrote me back. He says that they are having another production delay due to components from an outside source not being up to their spec. He said there will be some kits shipped to those who ordered them first and then there will be another delay.

He also told me that the rebate is still on, but didn't say when I should start the offer. I asked in another message whether he wanted me to start it now and have people wait an undetermined amount of time before their kit ships or hold off until the kits are readliy available. I think it would be best to wait until they are available otherwise you will have to put out your $$$ and wait. Also since the offer is only good for 90 days it would be better to have people install them and review them so others can decide whether or not to buy a kit for themselves.

I know that my kit is for the Ranger, but up front it is the same thing as the Explorer kit. That is why I'm giving you these updates. So when the rebate offer is given, you guys will have enough information to decide weather you want to spend your money on this or not.
We know from Juan that so far it seems to be holding up ok. We also know that some Explorers will have to spend alittle more cash to replace the front drive shaft in order to make the kit work. We also know that the front cross member needs to be in decent shape or the steering slide will not fit, and you will have to get it fixed before you can install the kit.
For you 95-97 owners, tomorrow I will be able to tell you more on how to modify your kit to make it work our year models.

Ray,

Whats going on with the ranger lift kit? Do you have your truck back? I hope everything is going ok.

What are you doing with the OME parts that where on your Xplorer? If you are looking to sell them let me know. I would be interested in the springs.

I hope your not posting the updates on another post, if so boy I feel crunchy.:)

Alan
98 Xplorer

Ok, here's the scoop. The front portion of the lift is finished, the 2" body lift is finished, we're just waiting for the 4" skyjacker springs and my AE-117 wheels. The transfercase is here and will be put in by tomorrow, however both driveshafts are going to have to be replaced, and I still have to get the gears changed and locker/LSD put in, so I don't know when, but my guess is it will be another 2 weeks before it is up and running.
Getting back to the Trailmaster lift. It seems that the only thing the shop did was trim the torsion bar bracket down some to fit into place. other than that I didn't see anything else. Here are few pictures of the rear portion of the torsion bar setup. notice that with the exception of the cutting and trimming on the top of the bracket, everything else is bolted on.
so for all you 95-97 owners these really isn't that much that has to be modified in order to get the kit to fit. :)

View

View

View

Tbars

What are your bets on how long those naked torsion bars will last 4wheelin? Won't take much to snap those. :( When I saw this kit on a ranger, that was my first reaction when seeing those tbars out in the open unguarded.

Good question. I have dropped on my torsion bars before and so far it hasn't been a problem, however they do stick out more then they did before. Any suggestions on protecting them? or do they indeed need protecting?

Well, that is something you are going top see in all the IFS kits with Torsion bars. F150's Expeditions, and Chevy trucks, it is just part of the deal. (it sort of is common sense) So, just protect them!

Good job Ray!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well while it is in the shop maybe you could have them fabricate a guard to go over them. Something like a trough type thing. (If you use your imagination) It would have to hang down a little lower than the torsion bars but it would take the beating rather than them. I want to say I saw something like that before on the net but I can't remember where. I'll look around and see if I can find a picture again.

Back