Transmission "bump" aka "hard shifting" TSB | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission "bump" aka "hard shifting" TSB

Shoot a PM my way, Johnny Neat; I'll escalate this up to your regional customer service manager. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal
Crystal, how do I pm you as I am having a similar issue with my transmission thumbing on the way up around 30 mph very consistently.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crystal, how do I pm you as I am having a similar issue with my transmission thumbing on the way up around 30 mph very consistently.
Welcome to the Forum Tim.:wave:
Unfortunately Crystal and the rest of the Ford reps no longer monitor these forums. They were all pulled on January 31st.
You can try using the contact info they included on their posts to see if have any luck.
p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford

Peter

so i am having this same issue AGAIN! Had some repairs made.....can't remember what it was but i think it was the TSB first posted in this thread, however it wasn't the TSB per say as my explorer wasn't within the build dates. However the same parts were used if memory serves me right.
ANYWAY, same hard shift bump is occurring again. Seems to be around 30-40 mph, more so under light/moderate acceleration especially on a flat even surface. Also happens when coasting then reapplying the throttle lightly as everyone else stated. I don;t know what to do anymore...seems like a TCM or internal transmission issue....i'm not paying for a transmission if anything breaks...FORD better step up.

so i am having this same issue AGAIN! Had some repairs made.....can't remember what it was but i think it was the TSB first posted in this thread, however it wasn't the TSB per say as my explorer wasn't within the build dates. However the same parts were used if memory serves me right.
ANYWAY, same hard shift bump is occurring again. Seems to be around 30-40 mph, more so under light/moderate acceleration especially on a flat even surface. Also happens when coasting then reapplying the throttle lightly as everyone else stated. I don;t know what to do anymore...seems like a TCM or internal transmission issue....i'm not paying for a transmission if anything breaks...FORD better step up.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have you gone back to your dealer or another one to have this checked out? Powertrain warranty is 5 years, 60K miles. Have the issue documented and keep your invoice. Not saying that would help once you're out of warranty though.

Peter

doney67,

I’m available to help with your concern by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can lend a hand, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory
I'm scheduled to have in my explorer he shop this Saturday, can you help me as well if i forward you my VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state?

I'm scheduled to have in my explorer he shop this Saturday, can you help me as well if i forward you my VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state?
The Ford reps have not been here for a couple years now. Iy seems they were pulled from all Forums. I suggest that you use the contact info they supplied on their posts.

Peter

The Ford reps have not been here for a couple years now. Iy seems they were pulled from all Forums. I suggest that you use the contact info they supplied on their posts.

Peter

Yeah, what's the deal with that, does anyone know?

Anyway, since this thread popped up when I was searching the TSB for this issue, I figured I'd add our experience to this thread for the folks that find it.

We factory ordered our 2011 Explorer Limited before they were even on the lots. We were one of the lucky ones that had to wait forever to get ours, because of the tsunami in japan causing a log jam of all the rail delivery cars at the ports. Anyway, the point is, our car is a very early build, so we've seen a good chunk of these TSB issues. Including the trans clunk. Same deal as everyone else...happens when slowing down for something like a toll booth, then getting on the gas again. BAM, into gear.

So here we are, 7 years and 198,000 miles later, and it's still doing it. Our dealer was never able to rectify the issue, so we just decided to live with it. And after nearly 200k miles, aside from the occasional very annoying thunk, we haven't had any issues with the trans. And we tow a camper with the truck, take it off road on the beach, and it sits in lots, and LOTS of traffic. So for those of you with this issue that haven't been able to get it resolved with the TSB, you may not have to get overly concerned. Ours does it, ours is fine...at least so far.

Welcome to the Forum FISHTAIL.:wave:
I ordered my 2011 Limited in December 2010 also without being to actually see one. Picked it up in March 2011. Did not have issues with the shifting.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum FISHTAIL.:wave:
I ordered my 2011 Limited in December 2010 also without being to actually see one. Picked it up in March 2011. Did not have issues with the shifting.

Peter

Thanks. I joined up a couple years ago, but never posted up for whatever reason. And interesting. Ours has always done it. We took it in a few times way back when it was under warranty, but it never got corrected. If I were shopping for a used one now, I'd be far more concerned with PTU condition than this rough shift though. Thankfully a friend alerted me to the need to change that fluid before ours cooked itself, but the fluid was in bad, BAD shape by the time I got after it. I've managed to keep it going, but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up having to replace it eventually.

I also have experienced this bump but now i'm noticing another issue. While driving at higher speeds, above 35mph i notice what feels like a tugging. Seems like the transmission is slipping. Seems to happen when you want to accelerate (comparing to just maintaining current speed) or if you go from flat to uphill and the truck has to work a little harder. Not 100% sure but it seems to happen more when in 5th and 6th gear.
Is this a major issue?
Would Ford fixing the bump TSB also fix this issue?
Would they see the issue i'm describing if there were just looking to fix the TSB?

I also have experienced this bump but now i'm noticing another issue. While driving at higher speeds, above 35mph i notice what feels like a tugging. Seems like the transmission is slipping. Seems to happen when you want to accelerate (comparing to just maintaining current speed) or if you go from flat to uphill and the truck has to work a little harder. Not 100% sure but it seems to happen more when in 5th and 6th gear.
Is this a major issue?
Would Ford fixing the bump TSB also fix this issue?
Would they see the issue i'm describing if there were just looking to fix the TSB?
I believe there are 2 TSB for a "bump" issue. One covers just the 2011 (11-8-21) and the other the 2011-2012 (13-3-`8). The latter is software upgrade so I don't know if they would find what you are experiencing or if it is related.

Peter

I believe there are 2 TSB for a "bump" issue. One covers just the 2011 (11-8-21) and the other the 2011-2012 (13-3-`8). The latter is software upgrade so I don't know if they would find what you are experiencing or if it is related.

Peter

Hi Peter,
Thanks for getting back to me.

Any idea what the skipping/tugging is? Is it a major issue?
Could it be a simple/easy/inexpensive fix?

My fear is they are going to tell me the tranny needs to be replaced :censored: .

There are several threads on issues like hesitation, lunging, misfire etc. A 'Seach' should come up with some of those. Hard to tell what the fix would be until the cause is discovered.

Peter

Hi Peter,
Thanks for getting back to me.

Any idea what the skipping/tugging is? Is it a major issue?
Could it be a simple/easy/inexpensive fix?

My fear is they are going to tell me the tranny needs to be replaced :censored: .
These transmission are bulletproof. Miles? Fluid change?
Skipping in 5.or 6 could be misfire. Any codes? Hard to diagnose om net

These transmission are bulletproof. Miles? Fluid change?
Skipping in 5.or 6 could be misfire. Any codes? Hard to diagnose om net
No codes. Just crossed 100k. Fluid changes mostly per the Ford oil change appointments.

Also would a tranny issue have a code with it?

I did some testing and the tugging seems to happen when i 5th and 6th gear and when you accelerate while the engine is at 1.5K RPM. I really dont see it happening when starting out from a full stop since the engine goes right passed 1.5K RPM and stays up there until I'm at a cruising at a steady speed in 5th or 6th gear. Once cruising if I push further on the accelerator i start feeling the tugging and can see the RPM's stuttering.

Would that help to diagnose it as more an engine issue (not firing correctly at low RPMs) vs a transmission issue?

Possible spark plugs?
Ever replace them?
That's what it was on my wife's CX9 without check engine light.

My wife's Mazda CX9 had a similar issue to what you are describing.
I thought it was the transmission/torque converter at first since it seemed to only happen in 6th gear on the highway with the torque converter locked. Once the converter unlocked, I felt no more stumble.
After some testing, I was able to get it to happen as low as 3rd gear (low rpm, accelerate up hill, torque converter locked).

I bought a cheap OBDII Bluetooth reader and Torque app ($5 paid version).
I drove around with the app updating in real time and I found that the misfire counts of a couple cylinders would jump up after I had that stumbling issue. Replaced spark plugs and it went away (for at least another 20k miles until we sold it).

Possible spark plugs?
Ever replace them?
That's what it was on my wife's CX9 without check engine light.

My wife's Mazda CX9 had a similar issue to what you are describing.
I thought it was the transmission/torque converter at first since it seemed to only happen in 6th gear on the highway with the torque converter locked. Once the converter unlocked, I felt no more stumble.
After some testing, I was able to get it to happen as low as 3rd gear (low rpm, accelerate up hill, torque converter locked).

I bought a cheap OBDII Bluetooth reader and Torque app ($5 paid version).
I drove around with the app updating in real time and I found that the misfire counts of a couple cylinders would jump up after I had that stumbling issue. Replaced spark plugs and it went away (for at least another 20k miles until we sold it).

Brought it in. All 6 spark plugs and 2 cylinder coils had to be replaced. Wife said it purred like a kitty when she brought it home. Thankfully it wasnt the transmission.

Thanks for all your help on this.

Brought it in. All 6 spark plugs and 2 cylinder coils had to be replaced. Wife said it purred like a kitty when she brought it home. Thankfully it wasnt the transmission.

Thanks for all your help on this.

Cool.....sounds I was partially right.
Glad to hear it wasn't transmission related.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back