• Register Today It's free!

Transmission model question

jzphilly

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'12 Ford Explorer XLT AWD
Hi Everyone - I have a 2012 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD that needs a transmission. From researching the VIN/door tag, I believe I need a 6F50 transmission. However, when I look at used transmissions online, every website asks for the "fit code" or "fitment" id. My options are:
  • BA5P-7000-RC
  • BA5P-7000-RD
  • BA8P-7000-KA
  • BA8P-7000-KB
  • BA8P-7000-NB
  • BA8P-7000-NC
  • DA5P-7000-RA
My mechanic did not know how the fit code correlates to my Explorer. I then called two online car parts websites; one didn't know and the other put me on hold and came back with BA8P-7000-NB. When I asked how the person knew this was the correct ID, the explanation was basically, "I talked to someone who knows."

Does anyone know which fit code I need or how I can determine it? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you don't get any responses here, I'd go with the "someone who knows".;)
BTW, how many miles on the Explorer?

Peter

I've never learned what those tag designations were for. I'm sure they are about the calibration for given applications, but I don't think they are critically necessary for a trans swap. It would come down to the calibration differences, often very minor and hardly perceptible shifting differences.

The VIN number will help you identify the actual transmission model, and what years of other Fords will have it. That trans model is absolutely critical, but the calibration stuff is minor, a professional tuner can alter the shifting in anything anyway.

For example, if that is a 6R80 trans, then you cannot use a 2011 model, because those have the control(ECU) for it inside the trans. The 2012 model was the first year that the 6R trans was controlled by the vehicle PCM.

If you have the 3.5L non turbo it is a 6F50. There are 2 white stickers and I'm not sure which one has that code. One is near starter and other is on bottom and probably covered in grease

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you don't get any responses here, I'd go with the "someone who knows".;)
BTW, how many miles on the Explorer?

Peter
136,000. At 122,000 the engine went. Really regretting this vehicle.

If you have the 3.5L non turbo it is a 6F50. There are 2 white stickers and I'm not sure which one has that code. One is near starter and other is on bottom and probably covered in grease
Thank you!!!

I took some pictures of the transmission when I stopped by the mechanic's shop yesterday. When looking at them now, I see a sticker on the bottom and it does have a code. Just need to go back and clean the label so that I can make out all of the code.

Back