• Register Today It's free!

Transmission troubles 1994

CTroxtell

Reaction score
City, State
High Point Area, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 EB 304k and counting
I've got a 94 Explorer 4x4 with about 312k miles on her that I seem to be having trouble with the transmission. It started acting up a few years back, when you first started driving it it would not want to shift out of 1st or 2nd gear. It would rev up pretty high but you could drop it out of overdrive into 2nd gear and it'd change gears and then you could usually shift back to overdrive. I had to drive it to the beach twice which is a 4 hour trip each way. On the last trip coming back home the transmission started acting up even more. Driving at 70mph normally runs about 2200 to 2500 rpm, it now was running at 3000 and it really didn't like any kind of hill. Driving uphill caused the vehicle to slow and pressing harder on the accelerator would make it drop a gear and rev even higher. Anyone have any thoughts as to what is going on with the transmission? I know someone had made mention that the not wanting to shift was due to the governor I think it was.

Surely that's not 312k on the trans? It's been rebuilt or replaced previously? If not, rebuild it or replace it, you definitely got your mileage out of this one and it's probably only going to get worse anyway no matter what you try and fix.

I'm not sure how many of those miles are on that transmission. It had probably 270k miles on the odometer when it was purchased. May have to see if I can rebuild it, not sure what that'd cost me though. Any thoughts on prices?

Back