Tube doors

hvac man

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Rifle, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
Well, I thought I would share this pic of my tube doos for anyone looking for some ideas on how to get more in touch with the elements ;) I built them a few weeks ago using 1.5" .120 DOM tubing for the frame and 1" .120 DOM for the cross bars. I fabbed mounting tabs to hold a jeep CJ soft door latch and bolted them to the stock hinges. They seems to be working great except for all the rain we have been having. I guess it's a good thing I have a garage and some good rain gear :D

Attachments

• my04$003.jpg
    my04$003.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 5,898
  • my08$001.jpg
    my08$001.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2,152

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! How do they fasten to the non hinge side?

With a jeep soft door lach

hmm.. i got soft doors from the wife's dead jeep laying around still..........

hvac man said:
With a jeep soft door lach

Ah, I thought the jeep latches were for the hinge sides.

looks sweet

Looks good. I want some for mine. :(

Good idea on the door latches :thumbsup: Might have to try that when I build my tube doors.

Thanks, guys.

Got any better picstures of the latch? Im not familiar with the jeep latch. I like the idae and may have to try it when I build my doors.

very cool idea to use the Jeep latches.
Nice work!
:D

I can try and take a better pic but my camera has seen to much trail damage to take good close ups :D

Looks good, i'm thinking of doing something very similiar once I buy a welder.

Nice job, you gave me an idea on my project B11

Nice job. I think you should fab up a couple and sell them!

I forgot i wanted to ask you what you did about the dome light switch/sensor in the door. Do you just rig it so it thinks the door is always closed?

Those look great although, I think they need cup holders!! :budlight: :chug:

Dave, you could just weld a little piece that would hit the switch for the dome light when you close the tube door.

FROADER said:
Dave, you could just weld a little piece that would hit the switch for the dome light when you close the tube door.
Not sure when it changed, but my door switch is actually a part of the door latch (door side).

I plan to put multi-pin connectors on the harness between the door and body, so that I can go doorless when I want to. I will just make up some spare connectors with a jumper for the door switch that I will install in place of the door (and will also protect the connector from the elements).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks again guys! I actually thought about making some stuff like sliders, cages, bumpers, and doors for the first gen explorers and selling them here, if I could work something out with Rick. The door switch is on a open/closed relay so when you unplug the switch from the wireing harness it goes into closed mode and can't complete the circuit so no dome light ;) As promised I got some close up pics of the door latch for those who want to see it. Well, talk to you later.

Attachments

• my10$008.jpg
    my10$008.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 2,977
  • my10$009.jpg
    my10$009.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 2,177

Back