Upgrades on the '06 Super Duty tow rig | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrades on the '06 Super Duty tow rig

dde thats such a sick truckk, i can't wait to get mine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, you got an '08 on order? Those are really nicely done, I'm always skeptical on the first year ford releases an engine, but the 6.0 is either trouble free or an abortion all the way through.

make sure you keep another vehicle around to drive when your super duty is in the shop, I've been without mine for about 3 months over the past 2 years. I thought I had the kinks worked out of mine, but it keeps disappointing me. Don't get me wrong, it's a 4 door luxury car with a truck bed and a big motor. There's a reason I've owned 9 powerstroke vehicles.

So here's my truck with a section525 startup kit, getting towed by a chevy. Thankfully I only needed to go a few miles, but that trailer was umm, maybe, a little overloaded.

So the dealer says it's the alternator and the wiring connecting this.

This is the second powerstroke I've had the alternator go out on, it's kinda a crock of crap because the battery voltage light does not come on when the alternator quits charging, it comes on when voltage is at a certain level (under 12 I'm guessing). So basically your engine won't have enough voltage to keep running but it has enough to charge the battery so the light won't come on. That is one thing I always liked about my explorers. The battery warning light will come on as soon as there is no charge coming from the alternator.

So is $590 a decent price for an alternator? Probably not considering Rockauto stocks one for $200. I still am skeptical that this will solve my issues.
Seems a bit unusual, although you do have two batteries wired in parallel, so that probably explains the battery light. There may still be enough to keep it at 12volts (and light the light), but not enough current to keep your PCM and FICM functioning. I would go with the $200 alternator, but that's just me... FWIW, I'm not fully convinced that it's your alternator, either.

Have you tried posting your problems over at the .org or PSN sites for answers yet?

I posted on the diesel stop, but I got a pretty bold shakedown due to the fact that I have not changed my fuel filters in 30K (maybe longer if the original owner didn't change it).

Yeah, TDS has been going down hill since they switched owners awhile back. PSN & .org are alot more freindlier & forgiving on people.

Thanks, you got an '08 on order? Those are really nicely done, I'm always skeptical on the first year ford releases an engine, but the 6.0 is either trouble free or an abortion all the way through.

make sure you keep another vehicle around to drive when your super duty is in the shop, I've been without mine for about 3 months over the past 2 years. I thought I had the kinks worked out of mine, but it keeps disappointing me. Don't get me wrong, it's a 4 door luxury car with a truck bed and a big motor. There's a reason I've owned 9 powerstroke vehicles.

yeh dude, i'm waiting for ford to finish all the recalls on the 08's, im planning on getting it a year and a half from now around next summer hopefully, if all goes well with my money issues. they really are nice trucks, best truck out there i think. 4 of my buddies have powerstrokes, 06' and 05' completly bullydog'd out, rediculously fast trucks, i wanna be the one with the newer body style and more power with them twin turbo's in the 08's :D

you can't chip the '08s Ford will be able to trace what you program the computer with. That means no warranty. Don't get me wrong, my '04 had the juice, but the dealer didn't know about it.

damn.... lol idk what to do now! haha

damn danny thats a sick truck you have there.

you can't chip the '08s Ford will be able to trace what you program the computer with. That means no warranty. Don't get me wrong, my '04 had the juice, but the dealer didn't know about it.
Technically, a good tech can tell that you flashed the PCM, so you won't really be able to hide it. Oh and tuning will leave telltale marks on your piston tops. Here's a pic of mine when it was in for head gaskets. Good techs will know, but you can flash the PCM on the 08's. If you do, make sure you remove the DPF or the soot will clog the DPF.
SweetUnit4.jpg

Pretty much and major engine work that needs to be done (i.e. engine removal, heads, and up-pipes) the go ahead and lift the cab off the frame. Its much easier and just as quick.

hmm, I did not know that.

So I'm catching the Ford Dealer in a few lies. I called another dealer and he told me the alternator retails at $451(with a 12 month warranty), then he said the alternator will be tested on the vehicle as a pass/fail. I purchased a new alternator w/ lifetime warranty for $210 and am very doubtful that it will cure any of my problems. In the dealers defense, they said that any further tests to determine problems will need to be done AFTER the new alternator goes in, so at a minimum, I'm hoping to not need to pay the $150 diesel inspection again. The other Ford dealer also told me that I would be charged $45-90 if I was just getting my alternator tested.

So basically, you take your not running car to Ford, they charge you $150 to tell you your alternator is bad.
of
you take your not running car to Ford and ask them to test your alternator they charge you $45 to tell you your alternator is bad.

Same amount of work accomplished, different service requested.

It pisses me off because the guy told me if I took the vehicle away to fix the problem he would not continue the inspeciton, but if he installed the alternator (even if it was aftermarket) he would continue the inspection.

FYI, I took my alternator off in 4 minutes on my lunch break today. I'm thinking about becoming a mechanic.

So here's the news.

Back in Sept (the 27th to be exact) my truck began loosing coolant while on my way to San Diego. After a conversation on the phone with the Ford dealer they advised to me continue on and keep filling the coolant (which was pouring out the exhaust). This was due to a bad EGR cooler. Well my truck did get hot a couple times on the 100 miles I needed to drive after hours to get to my destination.

A San Diego Ford Dealer had my truck until our Newbee Truckhaven run (the 20th I belive?) where James-Black Goblin picked it up for me and brought it to Truckhaven. On my return home I had no A/C because that did not get recharged. In addition, the problem I am having now is related to this.

My injectors were not torqued down to spec, causing all 8 injectors to loosen up. This has "burned" out the injectors and was causing exhaust to push back and basically roadblock my fuel delivery.

So my service advisor was more than cool, but he said it's the responsibility of the San Diego Ford dealer to cover my service bill. I am told not to worry at this point because his service manager is going to contact their service manager to cover this repair. This still sucks for me because I'm crossing my fingers hoping somebody will take care of me. Definitely not going to be submitted or covered under FORD warranty due to the fact that 8 injectors do not fail at once.

In other news I'm really considering a daily driver of some sort and a Dodge, possible dually that gets better mileage. I've heard good things about the Cummins. I guess Rick is the guy to ask how that does since I know he's had plenty of miles towing across the country a couple times.

So here's the news.

Back in Sept (the 27th to be exact) my truck began loosing coolant while on my way to San Diego. After a conversation on the phone with the Ford dealer they advised to me continue on and keep filling the coolant (which was pouring out the exhaust). This was due to a bad EGR cooler. Well my truck did get hot a couple times on the 100 miles I needed to drive after hours to get to my destination.

A San Diego Ford Dealer had my truck until our Newbee Truckhaven run (the 20th I belive?) where James-Black Goblin picked it up for me and brought it to Truckhaven. On my return home I had no A/C because that did not get recharged. In addition, the problem I am having now is related to this.

My injectors were not torqued down to spec, causing all 8 injectors to loosen up. This has "burned" out the injectors and was causing exhaust to push back and basically roadblock my fuel delivery.

So my service advisor was more than cool, but he said it's the responsibility of the San Diego Ford dealer to cover my service bill. I am told not to worry at this point because his service manager is going to contact their service manager to cover this repair. This still sucks for me because I'm crossing my fingers hoping somebody will take care of me. Definitely not going to be submitted or covered under FORD warranty due to the fact that 8 injectors do not fail at once.

In other news I'm really considering a daily driver of some sort and a Dodge, possible dually that gets better mileage. I've heard good things about the Cummins. I guess Rick is the guy to ask how that does since I know he's had plenty of miles towing across the country a couple times.

Meh the Ram's interior leaves a lot to be desired. IMO, if I had to go with anything but a PSD it's go with a duramax w/ the Allison Tranny.

Although, Cummins + Banks = VERY nice hehe

The common rail cummins (03.5-07) is probably the most power for the best mileage. Use a Smarty and you'll put down right near 450 RWHP... BTW, Danny, I can understand your frustration since I was in the same boat myself about a year ago, but since I have done a bunch of these mods, my truck has been rock solid (knock on wood!)

PS. the tranny's on the Dodge and even the Allison 1000 won't hold that power for very long. That seems to be one of the only weak points in those drivetrains...

what "mods" have you done on yours? The other "mod" i was considering was the $1800 warranty to extend the powerstroke warranty from 100K to 200K, no deductable. It needs to be done within the factory 100K, 5 year period, so I might just hang tight, the truck has everything I love...and it's paid for and it's been that way since the day I bought it.

what "mods" have you done on yours? The other "mod" i was considering was the $1800 warranty to extend the powerstroke warranty from 100K to 200K, no deductable. It needs to be done within the factory 100K, 5 year period, so I might just hang tight, the truck has everything I love.

I've been thinking about the same thing. I have about 13,000 more mile to figure it out. I may just trade it in though. :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what "mods" have you done on yours? The other "mod" i was considering was the $1800 warranty to extend the powerstroke warranty from 100K to 200K, no deductable. It needs to be done within the factory 100K, 5 year period, so I might just hang tight, the truck has everything I love...and it's paid for and it's been that way since the day I bought it.
EGR cooler block off, turned the EGR function off with the custom tuning, head gaskets replaced, head studs installed, HPOP STC fitting replaced... I have other stuff done as well, but those are more cosmetic and performance rather than reliability. I have gone through several EGR coolers while on stock settings, cleaned the EGR many times due to towing, had the VGT solenoid replaced-it wouldn't close the vanes on the turbo, so it wouldn't spool... Stuff like that. It has been a frustrating road, but I wouldn't trade my truck for anything! PS. if there is anything that we can't figure out that isn't under your powertrain 100k warranty, I have a good friend who has a diesel shop out in Scottsdale that just rebuilt the tranny in the Exploder. He's a great guy and knows his stuff! Only problem is he can't do Ford warranty work, since he isn't affiliated with a dealership.

Back