Upgrades on the '06 Super Duty tow rig | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrades on the '06 Super Duty tow rig

Yeah, I need to get that guys number (C4 is losing some fluid in the Explorer). And I don't really understand anything else you said (pretty much how I am at work too, I'm in the telecom field, too many 3 letter words that I don't know so I just make people laugh and try to sell my way around it) .

It sounds like these mods aren't necessarly expensive either, both the dealer and I would love to keep my rig away from them.

And Section...Trade in after the '07 conversion? WTH is wrong with you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I need to get that guys number (C4 is losing some fluid in the Explorer). And I don't really understand anything else you said (pretty much how I am at work too, I'm in the telecom field, too many 3 letter words that I don't know so I just make people laugh and try to sell my way around it) .

It sounds like these mods aren't necessarly expensive either, both the dealer and I would love to keep my rig away from them.

In December of 2006, I joined Powerstroke.org and knew nothing about diesel engines. I have learned a BUNCH since then, mostly concerning the 6.0L PSD. Like I said before, I'll help wherever I can. And whatever we can't figure out, we can ask Nate or one of the other tech's I know. We'll get you taken care of!

Dooood. My Dad's '07 rides so much nicer than mine. Plus, his Lariat gauges, steering wheel controls, and intergrated brake controller.... sexy. :eek:

Dooood. My Dad's '07 rides so much nicer than mine. Plus, his Lariat gauges, steering wheel controls, and intergrated brake controller.... sexy. :eek:
The coil springs ride much nicer than the leaf's... I wish mine were a Lariat, but not enough to get rid of it and have to start over! :D

Dannyboy, how many miles do you have on this thing and overall how reliable has it been?

I've got 51,000 miles on it.

I purchased it with 19,000 miles on it less than 2 years ago.

Since then I've had
1. warranty on air conditioning
2. warranty again on air conditioning
3. warranty on power steering pump
4. back to shop the next day because the steering sucked, 1.5 years later and it's still not how it was when I bought the truck-dealer keeps telling me it's because the truck is modified, I've had 9 modified trucks like this and this one steers the worst.
5. turbo failed, sat at dealership for 3 weeks
6. EGR cooler failed, engine heated up, head gaskets replaced-sat at dealership for 4 weeks waiting for authorization from Ford
7. back to dealership again after driving home 6 hours with no A/C because dealer in CA didn't recharge after head gasket repair
8. Injectors failed-Ford claims they were not torqued down properly from head gasket repari, Dealer claimed they did repair properly. Ford picked up the warranty
9. A/C still not nearly as cold as it should be, I'm just dealing with it.

With that said, there is no vehicle I would rather drive than a Crew Cab powerstroke Superduty lariat. Even with 37s on 22s and 8" of lift I am getting around 14 mpg. I would not get a 6.4 yet because they have really low MPG results and have a ton of issues. I also had an '04 that I purchased with 6,000 miles on it and sold with 28,000 miles on it and that truck had a transmission fail a 11,000 miles and then again at 14,000 miles. Other than that the truck ran flawless. Also a good friend bought an '06 with the same mileage as me, has 4" lift on 35s and has more miles than I do and only has taken his truck to the dealer for a small oil leak under warranty. I guess I just got "lucky" on mine.

Oh man, that makes me leery decause i'm ditching 2 of the 3 trucks (keeping the 92) and am lookin at an 06 250 (assuming it's a 6.0 as autotrader doesn't say). Only things i'm leery about are the EGR and Fuel Injector failurs on the 6.0s and that the truck as 107k miles, but we'll see always other ones around.

Anything in particular i should look out for?

Awesome trucks as long as you have a back-up DD. :D

yeah what he said...

My truck kicks serious ass when it's not in the shop, it's just the amount of time it's sat in the shop is UNACCEPTABLE. Evil Eye and 90Ranajo seem to have the most knowledge about these trucks. Sorry to sound arrogant but I really don't know too much about these. I was buying and selling them when the market was good and I was making money every time I got a new truck. This is the first truck I have done any work whatsover on. I have replaced the coolant resivoir and fuel filters, other than that I stay clear of the engine.

You can run an "oasis" report on any VIN number and get a full readout of the warranty work Ford has done to it.

Alright, thanks guys.

Once again Danny your truck is awesome. Ever thought about some stacks?

OH and how does it doing towing the X with that much lift and such big tires?

towing my explorer isn't any challenge whatsoever, I pop in a movie in my in-dash DVD set the cruise at 75 and roll down the freeway. I pulled this big boat around in 2005, it weighed 12,000 lbs on the trailer. The F250 pulled it well but only got about 7-8 mps, my Excursion was all over the road-not sure if it was soft springs or short wheelbase.

Stacks...nah, too honkey for me. I don't do stickers graphics, chrome or any plastic 3M body accessories. I don't have one sticker on either truck as a matter of fact.

Attachments

• 0923051338 (Medium).jpg
    0923051338 (Medium).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 276
  • another day at the.jpg
    another day at the.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 276

I still want one but right now money is not there.

AHHH the dream

The truck....

But the boat would be nice too

Nice boat, Danny. That doesn't look local, though. Where was that?

PS. Jman, I replied to your PM. Good luck in your search for a truck! Let me know if I can help out.

Ever thought about some stacks?

Aye!! :p:

Stacks...nah, too honkey for me. I don't do stickers graphics, chrome or any plastic 3M body accessories. I don't have one sticker on either truck as a matter of fact.

x2. No FX4 stickers, no lame ass chrome door handles or billet fuel doors. Just smooth, clean, unadulterated fun. :thumbsup:

Nice boat, Danny. That doesn't look local, though. Where was that?

That's here in town, I bought that early in '05 and sold it mid summer '06 and went back into a smaller wakeboard boat.

Jman, the market is really soft on diesels right now.

Also does anyone have any explanation for the price of biodiesel? The place by me is selling B99 for $4.66 when I can buy regular diesel for $4.09. B99 was 4.66 when diesel was 4.95 as well so I can't quite figure out if it's a pricing or mfg strategy. I'd switch over if it was less expensive and covered under warranty, from what I know you can only run a 5% blend.

That's here in town, I bought that early in '05 and sold it mid summer '06 and went back into a smaller wakeboard boat.

Jman, the market is really soft on diesels right now.

Also does anyone have any explanation for the price of biodiesel? The place by me is selling B99 for $4.66 when I can buy regular diesel for $4.09. B99 was 4.66 when diesel was 4.95 as well so I can't quite figure out if it's a pricing or mfg strategy. I'd switch over if it was less expensive and covered under warranty, from what I know you can only run a 5% blend.

Wait, diesel prices dropped out there?

Yeah one of the kids in my last class was talking about how much the price of diesel pickups dropped and thats when the thought ran through my mind.

Yup it was $4.65-4.95 about a month ago, now it's 4.09-4.65 depending on where you fill up. I've been keeping an eye on Pheonixgasprices.com. This site has pricing for most decent sized cities.

FYI, my truck was selling at auctions for about $30K in March, there have been several less transactions and they are selling closer to $20K currently. It only makes sense, hybrids are at a premium and big trucks are soft. PM me the info on anything you are looking at and I can pull a current auction report.

I need
year
make
model (including # of doors, engine size, supercab, crew cab etc)
trim package
2wd/4wd

I will attach a sample report of what I can show you. Typically retail prices are about 3-4K over this figure.

Just make sure that you get a screamin deal when you buy one and it will be worth it.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 241

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can run an "oasis" report on any VIN number and get a full readout of the warranty work Ford has done to it.

I did that when I bought mine - only 1 warranty action on it, and 1 recall since then.

Otherwise, 110k miles, and totally FLAWLESS operation.

Back