• Register Today It's free!

Wanting to lift my X to run 33s

Lenair

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericksburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 4x4
I hear there are several ways to lift my ’98 XLT. I want to get enough lift to run 33” tires with plenty of clearance for wheeling. I know this can be done easily but I want to do it the right way the first time so I don’t have to keep adding parts to get the truck to perform right. In reading magazines and searching this forum I’ve found some varied approaches and a multitude of products. I’d like some opinions on the approaches and their pros and cons. As I see it here are the most common approaches.

Approach 1 – A complete aftermarket lift kit. These seem expensive and I’m not sure one kit contains everything I’d need or want (plus they’re hard to find for a ’98 X).
Approach 2 – OEM parts from other Ford vehicles. I heard you can run leafs and coils from an F-150.
Approach 3 – A mix of aftermarket and OEM parts. I think I read that cranking the T-bars and adding a set of Warrior shackles is good for a couple of inches but maybe not enough for 33”s.

I need to put new shocks and tires on soon so I'd like to do everything at once if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Approach 1. Basically there are two lift kits available. Superlift which is okay, and Trailmaster which is cheaper and considered to be weaker. With either you can fit 33x12.50 tires, use a 15x8 rim with 3.75" backspace.
Approach 2. Nope. A '98 doesn't have coil springs, it has torsion bars.
Approach 3. TT & shackles will fit 33's IF you don't go real wide on the tires. A BFG 33x10.50-15 or any 285/75-16 will work.

Bottom line is that late-models are cheap to lift a little and expensive to lift a lot.

Click on my registry page that Rick referenced and is also linked to in the signature line at the bottom of all of my posts. You'll be able to fit 33" tires with nothing more than a torsion twist, a set of $50 Warrior shackles, a $130 3" body lift, and wllingness to slightly trim an unnoticeable sliver of plastic inside of your front fenderwells.

Gerald - I'm reading through your registry post as we speak. Trimming's no prob but based on your experiences I'll skip the Herculiner.

JohnnyO said:
Approach 2. Nope. A '98 doesn't have coil springs, it has torsion bars.

Oops... brain-fart! :confused:

a 2" BL won't do it, huh? The 3" kit sounds like it introduces a lot of hassle. Re-running lines and raised the fan doesn't phase me... it's the b*tching I've heard about raising the bumpers that spooks me.

Lenair said:
Gerald - I'm reading through your registry post as we speak. Trimming's no prob but based on your experiences I'll skip the Herculiner.

LMAO!!

All vehicles are a little different... I do believe I still had the 2" BL when I put 285/75r16 tires on, which are equal to 33". It may require slightly more plastic trimming, but yeah if I had it to do over again I'd do the 2" instead of 3", it's a lot less trouble.

You guys ROCK! Are you planning on going to the Crozet, Virginia Run in June?

I have the 4" Superlift, and I'll be going to 33x12.5-15 next week, so you can see pix of that combination real soon.

ive got the TT/AAL/Shackles and a 2" BL and im running 33s. Minimal plastic trimming was required. Every truck is different though like Geralds said.

Back