• Register Today It's free!

what size tyres

Velocity4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Essex England
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer
hi peps im just wondering what the biggest tyres i can put on my standerd 16 rims as there due a change and i want something that looks a bit chunkyer ( i think thats a real word ) lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HI Mate,

I'm running 265/70R16 BFG AT's with no probs at all - also they got my speedo within 1mph of my satnav too.

I think Howard is running 265/75R16 so I guess it just depends which size you can get a decent price on!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Carl

The next set of boots i'm getting will be 265/70R16 Genaral Grabber AT2 a bud got them on his Ex and and reckons they the best 50/50's he's had. They come in at around £80 a corner

Man go the full monty and get some MT,s
you know it makes sense....:p:

The Cooper Discoverer ST's are quite a good tyre. They are rated in between an AT and an MT tyre, quite a nice tread pattern as well. When i bought them they were 295.00 shipped from Formula 4x4 for 4 tyres.

hello sorry to butt in ,i need new tyres on rear and the only part worns i can find are 255 60 16 the guy thought it might upset the traction unit is this true?thanks

hello sorry to butt in ,i need new tyres on rear and the only part worns i can find are 255 60 16 the guy thought it might upset the traction unit is this true?thanks

You must fit the same size tyre all round. Otherwise the 4x4 system will constantly detect slippage and engage the front wheels. This may damage the drive train if it happens on normal roads.

thanks howard for info :thumbsup:,richard

I still like the AT's as 50/50 they are better for daily road use than the MT 20/80. they have a speed rating of 130mph instead of 97mph, not that I'd ever get close to that max. They'll also handle better on wet tarmac which we dont have a shortage of on our roads.

The next set of boots i'm getting will be 265/70R16 Genaral Grabber AT2 a bud got them on his Ex and and reckons they the best 50/50's he's had. They come in at around £80 a corner

can the 265 fit on the 255 rim well? i might go for them aswell

The 265 will fit the rim with no problems. If swampyrbs wants to collect them I have two partworns you can have I dont want anything for them. just phone Doug Tyrecare on 0121 441 2607 after tuesday. they are 255/70/16

Have a look at the maxxis they are great tyres for the money. at the moment they are fairly cheap because they want to get a foothold in the U.K market when they become popular I would think there prices will rise. I sell about fifty Maxxis a week, mainly car and I have put a set on my explorer.

cheers guys if i get mt are they road legal?

I used to run Khumo venture MTs on my Mitsi Pajero and they were most def road legal - I had a very long chat with the local Feds and finally got them to agree they were totally legal!!

Only problem with running MTs could be the speed rating of them for the Ex - My Paj only needed tyres rated to 99mph but I'm guessing the Ex will need 112mph at least. If you put the wrong speed rating on then you could potentially run into problems with your insurance if you ever needed to claim.

Also you might find the back end a bit 'Frisky' in the wet with MTs on, but hey that can only add to the fun of driving the Ex about :D:D:D:D

Hope this helps

Cheers

Carl

mine is allready a bit frisky in the wet i just want something a bit bigger than what ive got

what about these ebay item number 290256232953 do you think ill get away with these on the road lol

I think it'll be more than a bit frisky with those on, but should still be totally road legal - biggest problem would probably be noise on the road.

MTs were a fair bit louder than the ATs I've got now and if you do loads of motorway miles you might find them a bit on the loud side.

Unless you plan on some serious off-roading then I wouldn't go for more than an AT tyre to be totally honest.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Carl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they are fully road legal as well how funnys that there E marked but i think ill buy them when i get some new wheels and just keep the other set for when i come to surrey with you lot.........................the grzzly claws look the same

Back