What to look for in used Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to look for in used Explorer

Hey guys so is there an actual confirmed fix for the carbon monoxide issue? I have a baby girl and obviously that's a concern for me. I saw in the Carfax that I posted it mentioned about the concern of that issue but not sure if it had been fixed. Anyway to know? And again, is there a true fix?
Many members who have had that latest 'fix' done have reported that it did address the concern while some said it reduced it. From looking at the Carfax report it is hard to tell if that was just an 'Info' entry or if the work was done. I'm guessing a Ford dealer should be able to pull that information. Have you read any of the threads on the issue?
U.S. Expands Probe Into Ford Explorers Over Carbon Monoxide Concerns, Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. Check through some of the later posts. There are a few others that you can look for using the 'Search' feature in the upper right.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome, thanks! Never heard of this OASIS report but I will definitely mention it. Unfortunately this explorer isn't at a Ford dealer, but a Toyota. Not sure if they'd be able to obtain that report or just ask them to reach out to another ford dealer.

And great tip on the Uber part. Would of never thought of something like that.

Only Ford can do it. Bring your local Ford dealer the VIN and request a copy of it.

Well I went ahead and picked up the 17 explorer. One mirror was a little scratched up but got in writing that they would fix both the paint and plastic of the mirror. Other than that no issues. I did see the plastic piece covering the rear usb ports was broken off. Hoping that's a cheap fix. Otherwise interior is like new. Outside is pretty flawless besides some minor scratches that I'm hoping I can buff out. Was such a good deal, I think, that I went ahead and did it. Trying to get use to this bigger ride though.

The BLIS system works great, but is it supposed to beep at you if you hit your blinker when it's lit up? My cx5 would beep at me if I signaled over and there was a car in my blind spot.

Well I went ahead and picked up the 17 explorer. One mirror was a little scratched up but got in writing that they would fix both the paint and plastic of the mirror. Other than that no issues. I did see the plastic piece covering the rear usb ports was broken off. Hoping that's a cheap fix. Otherwise interior is like new. Outside is pretty flawless besides some minor scratches that I'm hoping I can buff out. Was such a good deal, I think, that I went ahead and did it. Trying to get use to this bigger ride though.

The BLIS system works great, but is it supposed to beep at you if you hit your blinker when it's lit up? My cx5 would beep at me if I signaled over and there was a car in my blind spot.

No it does not beep. Just the light in the mirror.

Still no audible warning but on the 2016 + Explorers the BLIS warning light will flash if it detects a vehicle in the 'zone' and you activate the turn signal on that side. Flash rate will increase as the approaching vehicle gets closer.

Peter

One thing that wasn't mentioned....If you want to tow the top rated 5000lbs, you need the 3.5 N/A or 3.5 Ecoboost engine with the HD tow package installed from the factory.

One thing that wasn't mentioned....If you want to tow the top rated 5000lbs, you need the 3.5 N/A or 3.5 Ecoboost engine with the HD tow package installed from the factory.

Gotcha...don't plan on towing anything. Mine did come with some tow package though. Not sure exactly what that adds yet.

Still no audible warning but on the 2016 + Explorers the BLIS warning light will flash if it detects a vehicle in the 'zone' and you activate the turn signal on that side. Flash rate will increase as the approaching vehicle gets closer.

Peter

Thanks. Good info.

Thanks!

Gotcha...don't plan on towing anything. Mine did come with some tow package though. Not sure exactly what that adds yet.

I linked the tow guide on the first page of this thread. It’ll tell you what the class II package gives you, assuming the vehicle came with a tow package. It’s basically a class II two bar with 4-pin wiring, that’s it. The class III on the larger engines has an oil cooler and 7 pin wiring, among other changes. Check your original window sticker or with Ford for details of what your vehicle included as stock.

I linked the tow guide on the first page of this thread. It’ll tell you what the class II package gives you, assuming the vehicle came with a tow package. It’s basically a class II two bar with 4-pin wiring, that’s it. The class III on the larger engines has an oil cooler and 7 pin wiring, among other changes. Check your original window sticker or with Ford for details of what your vehicle included as stock.

Okay thanks. I received a paper copy of it but it is rather blurry. Wondering if I could just go into any ford an obtain a copy of the original or at least a clear version of one. I tried searching online but this particular car and Vin we're unavailable.

Okay thanks. I received a paper copy of it but it is rather blurry. Wondering if I could just go into any ford an obtain a copy of the original or at least a clear version of one. I tried searching online but this particular car and Vin we're unavailable.
I believe that the dealer may have a charge for printing out the Window Sticker but at least you'll have a good copy of it. Most Window Sticker sites will only have the 'Sticker' available for a certain amount of time after the vehicle is built, then it disappears and you'll get a message saying the VIN isn't available yet or something like that.
If you physically check to see if the vehicle has a tow package it more than likely will be a Class III. There should be some identification on it if you do have one.

Peter

Send me your VIN via PM and I should be able to get you your window sticker.

I believe that the dealer may have a charge for printing out the Window Sticker but at least you'll have a good copy of it. Most Window Sticker sites will only have the 'Sticker' available for a certain amount of time after the vehicle is built, then it disappears and you'll get a message saying the VIN isn't available yet or something like that.
If you physically check to see if the vehicle has a tow package it more than likely will be a Class III. There should be some identification on it if you do have one.

Peter

I see. Well I have the 2.3L T so I'm assuming it's just the class II. It has the plate cover on the back covering the hitch. Haven't figured out how to remove it lol but it's there.

It just pops off. There is a handle shaped indentation and you just pull it off. Getting back on required lining up some tabs and popping it back in. There are videos on YouTube showing how to do it.

I actually check mine every few weeks because it seems to collect pebbles whenever I go on gravel roads. However, I think that’s more a function of the road condition than the design of the car.

Only other known issue which was more on the earlier models is the PTU with its "lifetime fluid". If it is a low mileage 17, I'd just change the PTU fluid every 30k.

Should the PTU fluid really be changed every 30k miles on lets say a 2015? I have over 40k, so if it's going to be a problem it would be great to better understand it.

Hey guys, what do you think about extended/extra warranty? I was offered 60 month/75000 extra warranty on top of my remaining factory warranty for $1739. Initially I said no but I started thinking more about it and with all the tech involved, it could be beneficial. It's through "The Mechanic". Its the platinum package which includes the most amount of coverage. I don't have the brochure at the time of this post but what do you guys think? I know extra warranties are always a iffy area.

Hey guys, what do you think about extended/extra warranty? I was offered 60 month/75000 extra warranty on top of my remaining factory warranty for $1739. Initially I said no but I started thinking more about it and with all the tech involved, it could be beneficial. It's through "The Mechanic". Its the platinum package which includes the most amount of coverage. I don't have the brochure at the time of this post but what do you guys think? I know extra warranties are always a iffy area.

If it is "platinum" it is a 3rd party. Do NOT get a 3rd party. Being a 2017, you are still in the bumper to bumper so you can buy a Ford ESP through Joel (I can PM you his info).

Hey guys, just joined up here. For the past few months I've been eyeing up a used 17 Explorer Limited/Sport. I currently have a 16 Mazda CX5 GT AWD that I will keep and hand off to my wife, an we will trade her elantra GT in. I originally was sold on a 16 until I found out that MFT couldn't be upgraded to Sync 3 through Ford and with the dealer quoting $2500 to do an aftermarket switch, I figured I'd might as well just look for the 17.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of research and starting to get serious about buying. Reliability seems pretty good, crash ratings as well. But I do have a couple questions.

1. Is there anything particular I should be careful of or watch out for? I saw in the forums that ford is addressing the carbon monoxide issue. Anything else or known problems.

2. How is the AWD system? My cx5 is absolutely stellar. That system is quick and hooks well. Does the explorer seem to have a good system? I know there's a bit more control withe explorer but I love the safety aspect of my cx5 where even if its raining, I know my wheels will hook.

3. How kid tested is the interior and accommodating is the seats(distance from passenger seat to back seats) with car seats? I have a new little baby girl and eventually more will be on the way so I would expect this car to last awhile and wondering how well it will hold up.

4 Real world gas mileage? What would you say? I checked fuelly and know there are a lot of variables but I always feel forum members can present the most real life averages.

5. Technology packages, BLIS is a must have for me. Anything that you guys highly recommend or suggest avoiding? I know these new systems are designed to help out but can appreciate that sometimes they can be more trouble than they're worth(costly repairs).

Glad to be apart of the forum and I look forward to learning from everyone.

Dont buy one unless warranty exceeds 360000 is my opinion. My 2003 has been nothing but trouble, especially the suspension system

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you still have your 2016 Mazda? If so, seeing as this is an Explorer forum you may want to update your profile with the Explorer and add te Mazda to a signature if you have both. As far as an extended warranty goes, contact blwnsmoke and don't get a 3rd party one. Thanks,

Peter

Back