• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Spacers

Car 54

Reaction score
City, State
Lutz, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
Has anyone installed wheel spacers on their Explorer? I'm thinking of getting 20mm bolt on spacers but haven't sourced them yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

May I ask why you want to put spacers on?

You do know that it will significantly shorten the life of your hubs because of the increased force being applied.

Has anyone put wheel spacers on their Sport to bump those tires out to the edge of the fender? I think that would look very very good.

I run spacers/adapters in the rear.

Spacers in the rear

Can you post a pic please?

Thanks

I just looked at your year. I have an old one. Sorry, the pic won't do any good. Reading forums with kids hanging on you sucks.

Not good practice....adding wheel spacers increase dynamic loads on wheel bearings and axles exponentially and will lead to catastrophic failure of teh bearings. Been there done that!

What Dr. P said. You will prematurely destroy the wheel bearings by using spacers. It significantly increases the load on the bearings.

However, if you're aware that your bearings will wear faster, just have them checked more often and be willing to replace them. I hope someone posts a picture cause I think I'd like the look.
Also, I would get "adapters" rather than spacers so that you don't end up putting too much force on the end of the lugs.

Bearings and adaptors

I agree that more rotating mass cannot be helpful to bearings, so does larger heavier wheels.

Though I have not weighed the two, I have to believe that 20" wheel and tires weigh more than the old traditional 15" wheel and tires we had for years.

What about these LARGE rotors that manufacturers put on cars. isn't that adding the same mass you are referring to? Do they shorten bearing life?

I check my wheel bearings every time I rotate and balance and am not concerned about wearing a little faster for a GREAT look.

I should have clarified that I meant adaptors. Maximum Motorsports has great H&R adaptors that are pratically bulletproof. They are very well built and bolt up to the hub and then they have their own studs.

What is the bolt pattern and size of the 2013 Sport?

2011 - 2013

I doubt you'll get pics of a 1998 Sport as this forum is for 2011 - 2013 Explorers

The difference in the adapters vs. the brakes and bigger wheels is where the load is applied. Larger wheels, when properly backspaced, place the vertical load right at the bearing or at a distance that creates a load that the bearing is designed for. When you put an adapter on the hub, you move the load outboard away from the bearing, creating a moment arm that produces a torque on the bearing that it's not designed for.

Bearings

Good point about the load angle. That's why I will continue to check my bearings at every rotation and have a better look and stance and by having a wider track which is a safer vehicle for the cost of doing bearings maybe a couple years sooner.

It's worth it to me.

Since you're not only aware of the issue but also the physics behind it (kudos to JDraper for taking the time to explain it...unlike lazy me), then I'd definitely say go for it. I think it'll look great :)

Adapter

The narrowest adaptor that Maximum Motorsports offers is 25mm or .98".

Do you think that will be too wide?

I really don't want to have to use spacers and change wheel studs to longer length.

I think I will head to a dealer and take some measurements before I order the adapters

The narrowest adaptor that Maximum Motorsports offers is 25mm or .98".

Do you think that will be too wide?

I really don't want to have to use spacers and change wheel studs to longer length.

I think I will head to a dealer and take some measurements before I order the adapters

you could always change the wheel off set as well

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Adapters

Awesome referral to the ebay part.

Can you post pics of 1.5" on the rear of your Explorer? What year?

Back