Why do I keep getting swirls | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why do I keep getting swirls

Did the 3M thing, Zaino Z-5 and all swirls gone. Wash all my 100% cotton towels with liquid tide. I am getting swirls again though!!! :( :mad: I am not using Z-7 though. It's stuff I got at Costco. Turtlewax Gold Series. I know, Turtlewax blows but I didn't think it would cause swirls. Can this cause swirls? I do not want to do 3m SMR again!!! Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you wash and/or wax your x, don't use the "wax on wax off" swirl. apply wax, soap, towell off, etc.. in a straight line lengthwise along the body. No more swirls.

i love my cars and i go that extra mile to make them look there best so ill tell you what to do.ok lets start #1 no wax on wax off. more like paint the fence. even when washing it back and forth on hood and top. up and down on sides #2 buy a good wax and car wash liquid. buy a sheep scin mit and put the car wash on it or on the car not in a buckit wet the car and then start washing. that will keep the swirls forming.#3 never mind 3m find a detailing supply shop and buy a cleaner wax do the car by hand no buffer and then put on a good wax like zaino or ibiz. i yous to live in miami and i had 3 black cars and ibiz wax was the best thing i ever used . but ive been useing zaino now for two weeks gust to see if its better . im in fresno ca now and theres a lot of dust and zaino keeps it off my 2002 eb, and the last thing ill tell you is put on more than one coat of wax 3 coats in one week to start and then one every 3 weeks and poof no more swirls. ps you can get ibiz athttp://www.ibiz-inc.com/

Well, first of all, what kind of cloth are you using to wash the car with? It's gotta be 100% cotton cloth, or microfiber towels work too. I just cut a small piece off my large bath-size towels and use that to wash with, plus a seperate one for the wheels. Secondly, spend the money and get the Z7. Maintenance is very important in the Zaino system, and Z7 and Z6 are the integral components for that.

Also, some people have expressed less-than-desirable results with the SMR, particularly finding that after washing the car, the swirls are back. I'm not all that familiar with SMR, but if it is a glaze, then it just fills in the swirls and is mostly removed with the next wash. What you need is a polish that will actually remove the swirls, not just fill them in. I highly recommend 3M's new Perfect-It III machine glaze. You will definitely need a buffer for it though.

All this said though, I find that no matter how careful I am, I occassionally still end up with a couple of swirls in the paint after a wash. That just gives me an excuse for another coat of Zaino. :D

peace

Mike

SMR isn't a glaze it is an abrasive that grinds down the clearcoat to eliminate the swirls, but it is EXTREMELY mild. Never use it by hand! It took me 2 hours to do my hood alone. As to what I wash it with, I use a sheepskin mitt and i do go back and forth, not wax on wax off. . I'll try the 100% cotton towel next time. One question though, where can I get Microfiber towels? I know their supposed to hold more water and won't scratch, but I can't find them anywhere. Anyway, I will be getting the Z-7 and I just ran out of Z-6 so I'll be getting more of it. Anyway, have any of you had good luck with Sals applicator pad? Mine seemed to absorb most of the polish and when I washed the applicator pad nothing came out of it, s now it is a grayish color so I won't even put it on my X. Or should I just apply it with a small piece of a cotton towel?

Try Dead Link Removed or Dead Link Removed for the microfiber towels.

Back