windows & door locks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

windows & door locks

mastermike1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4 Door, 4x4, auto,& air. (ALL) Power windows and door locks are broken. They won't unlock or roll down from any position in the vehicle. Replaced driver side master switch. Checked all fuses and relays they seem to be fine. WTF?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check for broken wiring in the driver door jamb. It will require some dis assembly of the door bulkhead connector, and rubber boot.

Is there any do it yourself (DIY) threads on here to walk me through this procedure? What color is the door lock wire? and what color is the power window wire?

Have you tried disconnecting the battery cables and touching them together for a minute? Doing this will reset electronics and often helps work out bugs. Sounds like you have a bigger problem but would be worth a try

never heard of touching cables together. Does that really work?

No bad wires in the door jamb boot. I went through every wire in that boot! After that I called the guy I bought the truck from. He said a drunk friend of his Hammer fisted the top of the dashboard just to the right of where the radio is and the next day the windows and door locks didn't work. Is there a ground wire,relay switch, or something in the dash that can affect the operation of both the power locks and windows?

OK Turdle . I will find and replace the GEM module and see what happens.

OK Turdle . I will find and replace the GEM module and see what happens.

I forgot to mention, make sure the replacement GEM is from a like truck, same year--engine and options. Just to avoid any potential problems.

I have a 1997 XLT 4 door, 4x4, 4.0 motor, & auto transmission. I'm guessing I should get a GEM module from a truck with all the same stuff on it. What years would work 97-01? I'll be going to the junkyard ASAP. Thanks mike

I forgot to mention, make sure the replacement GEM is from a like truck, same year--engine and options. Just to avoid any potential problems.

I have a 1997 XLT 4 door, 4x4, 4.0 motor, & auto transmission. I'm guessing I should get a GEM module from a truck with all the same stuff on it. What years would work 97-01? I'll be going to the junkyard ASAP. Thanks mike

Before swapping the gem, check the connections on it. Could be something loose..

I checked the connection at the GEM all was well. Went to 4 junkyards today and couldn't find the correct GEM unit. Mine is a (F77B-14B205-BC) Made in Canada (EC29471717) {C}. I tried a different GEM from a 98 and it didn't work. Still no Power locks, Power windows (from any position in the truck) and random flashing 4x4 light on the dash. Does anyone know where I can find a good GEM? I want to eliminate the GEM from the equation and move on to another possibility.

Did you try this number ?

If not, I have it, if you pay shipping you can try it-

004-8.jpg

Edit--this is from a 98 also--I bet the PATS , which began in 98 will be an issue.

Turdle I found one with my exact # code on it. It was out of a 97 XLT 4x4 4door and auto transmission. Bought it off of E-Bay and it should be here Saturday. I shouldn't have any compatability issues with it since it came in a 97 I just tried the 98 GEM cause it was the end of the day. I was frustrated and the numbers were the same except it was a CB not a BC. I hope the E-Bay one will fix my problem.

Back