Windows stutter... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windows stutter...

I have a 2014 -ford explorer xlt. When I put the Windows down it does not go down smooth in fact it shakes and rattles as soon as it starts to go down. I have taken it in twice both times the problem was not fixed I was told I had to let the grease settle on the track. So here I am with the same problem. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum, familyof5! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. I'd like to get your regional customer service manager involved so they can help. To make that happen, send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing deaelrship. I'll do the rest. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I find this tiresome. Go to a forum for any vehicle and pick out a complaint and you get half a dozen reply's with the same issue. So three "blown engines" makes it a systemic problem with hundreds of thousands of these engines on the road. I have a 2014 and it's not been back to the dealer once.

I find this tiresome. Go to a forum for any vehicle and pick out a complaint and you get half a dozen reply's with the same issue. So three "blown engines" makes it a systemic problem with hundreds of thousands of these engines on the road. I have a 2014 and it's not been back to the dealer once.

I concur. Mine(10k miles) has not been back to the dealer except for the first oil change.

My 2015 X Sport has the same window traits, it only does it when the windows are closed all the way. If you start the windows when they are just cracked a bit from the top that stutter doesn't occur. I think it is caused from the excessive torque on the windows when they are pushed up all the way. I have seen this with a couple other manufacturers, really just the design of the window in my opinion. Hope this helps.

You find this tiresome? Why are you reading complaints that people are having if you are peachy keen? If you aren't having complaints, then consider yourself lucky and move along. You have no idea what some of us have been through. When I wrote this thread a year ago, I had no idea that the window stutter was going to be the smallest of my issues. I wish it was. I am now pursuing lemon law with my EX. I am having SAFTEY issues. I am losing power while driving. And that is just ONE of a laundry list of problems I have been having and that Ford is aware of. We have a right to express our displeasure when we buy a brand new car that sits in the shop for weeks on end. If your EX is good, then go enjoy it. Don't bash the rest of us who are having major problems. Good for you, now move along.

I have this stuttering issue in my 14 ex too.

You find this tiresome? Why are you reading complaints that people are having if you are peachy keen? If you aren't having complaints, then consider yourself lucky and move along. You have no idea what some of us have been through. When I wrote this thread a year ago, I had no idea that the window stutter was going to be the smallest of my issues. I wish it was. I am now pursuing lemon law with my EX. I am having SAFTEY issues. I am losing power while driving. And that is just ONE of a laundry list of problems I have been having and that Ford is aware of. We have a right to express our displeasure when we buy a brand new car that sits in the shop for weeks on end. If your EX is good, then go enjoy it. Don't bash the rest of us who are having major problems. Good for you, now move along.

I know exactly why he said it is "tiresome". It is tiresome because people come on the forums and read about an issue that they are having and magically that particular vehicle is a POS (this goes for all makes and models). His comment about 3 blown engines is NOTHING to complain about. With approximately 500,000 Explorers made since 2011, lets say it is 20 blown motors, that is a .0006% failure rate.

People blow things out of proportion..

Now don't get me wrong, there are some issues that Ford really needs to deal with and really needs to step up to the plate with. One that comes to mind is the Explorers that develop internal leaks. No vehicle from any make/model should leak and any manufacturer should be taking care of this even outside of warranty.

In regards for you to tell someone to move along.. who are you to tell somebody to get off the forum or get out of the thread?? This is an online forum and not everyone is going to agree with YOU. Just because they don't, don't be telling someone to take a hike.

There is a reason the Explorer is selling like hot cakes and has had it's best sales since 2006. If they were all like this or even a high percentage, they would not be selling like this. Overall, after the 2011 growing pains (mine is a 2011 with 69,000 miles), the majority are great vehicles.

I know exactly why he said it is "tiresome". It is tiresome because people come on the forums and read about an issue that they are having and magically that particular vehicle is a POS (this goes for all makes and models). His comment about 3 blown engines is NOTHING to complain about. With approximately 500,000 Explorers made since 2011, lets say it is 20 blown motors, that is a .0006% failure rate.

People blow things out of proportion..

Now don't get me wrong, there are some issues that Ford really needs to deal with and really needs to step up to the plate with. One that comes to mind is the Explorers that develop internal leaks. No vehicle from any make/model should leak and any manufacturer should be taking care of this even outside of warranty.

In regards for you to tell someone to move along.. who are you to tell somebody to get off the forum or get out of the thread?? This is an online forum and not everyone is going to agree with YOU. Just because they don't, don't be telling someone to take a hike.

There is a reason the Explorer is selling like hot cakes and has had it's best sales since 2006. If they were all like this or even a high percentage, they would not be selling like this. Overall, after the 2011 growing pains (mine is a 2011 with 69,000 miles), the majority are great vehicles.

I can tell someone to move along if it is MY thread and they are telling people that they are tired of reading their complaints. I have the right to stand up for myself and others who are having MAJOR issues. I, too, have had MULTIPLE leaks all over my EX; my A/C leaks, my transmission leaks, etc. I lost power, WHILE DRIVING, and told Ford and they tried to BLAME ME and told me it was my driving habits when all the while, they saw there was a failure on the data recorder they put in my car. They still tried to tell me that I was a bad driver and oh, by the way, the same thing happened to my husband. We must both be bad drivers. That is a joke. It had been in and out of the shop for over a year for this issue and it was never found until just recently when they discovered a sensor in my trani was failing. Seriously, a sensor. It could have gotten me killed. I NEVER got an apology from Ford saying they made a mistake and blamed us. This is unacceptable. Not to find a bad sensor?? So I say again, get off those of our backs who do have problems. We are not all whiney cry babies. We are people just like you who got vehicles with less than stellar quality. At $45-50,000, that is just unacceptable. I really wanted to love my EX and parts of me still do, but Ford has made that difficult. If you or anyone else doesn't agree, no need to comment. That's all I was saying.

I noticed recently that my ExSpo is showing the same issues as the OP vyoutube vid. Its just about the first 1/4 of the way down that the strange stutter happens. I am fairly certain that this was not something that was happening even a month ago. I too will add it to the list and hope dealer fixes at my next Oil change...

As to the "things are bound to go wrong suck it up and deal" argument... Yea - we'll just have to agree to disagree. I didn't pay ~45k for a new vehicle to have to spend so much time in a dealer waiting room. Pretty sure this will be my first and last Ford. I had nearly zero issues on my USED 04 Nissan Murano before 120k miles... I have 18k miles on my new ExSpo and it's been to the dealer more times then the life of the Murano (not counting regular maint visits).

I just had this fixed on my explorer, both front windows were doing it so they replaced some part, I can't remember exactly right now. They work flawlessly. I think it was in and out of the shop in about 2 1/2 hours including the tech taking his lunch break.

This has been a problem for Fords for many years on many different vehicles. The motors all go out after a period of time, some last a little longer than others but they all go out. Ford knows this (Plastic Bushing) but they like the continued business of selling window motors and the labor for the shops. They start with that stutter but then they finally go out.

If you want to fix it permanently then look into this:

(This is not my video and there are many more video's like it for you to verify the fix - Its a FREE Fix.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYKha5LhohE

Besides, whats it gonna hurt to try this fix, it's already broke , Right?

Window shudder on way down - passenger

Hello. I did a few searches but couldnt come up with anything. If this has been discussed before, my apologies.

My wife has a 2013 XSport. I was driving with her the other day and noticed that the passenger side window, jumps up and down for the first few inches when you put it down. Basically if the window is all the way up and you send it down, it shudders up and down for around 6 inches and then proceeds to finish opening smoothly. The driver side doesnt. Its almost like it bounces up and down, or is rubbing too hard on the rubber seals and kinda is getting stuck. It doenst really get stuck. I'll try to take a video to illustrate this if I get some time.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm probably going to have to take it to the dealer to check it out. I'm worried that this would create excessive wear and tear on the window motor. She is still under warranty for now.

My 2011 does the same thing on each side, the dealer greased the track and now the windows still shutter but leaves grease residue on the windows!

...Basically if the window is all the way up and you send it down, it shudders up and down for around 6 inches and then proceeds to finish opening smoothly....

What's the current mileage on your wife's Explorer, Boostking? I'll look into this further to see how I can help.

My 2011 does the same thing on each side, the dealer greased the track and now the windows still shutter but leaves grease residue on the windows!

Let's get your regional customer service manager involved, fx8racer. Send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll take it from there. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thanks Crystal, I will have to send you the vin later as I am driving my 1989 jeep wrangler with no options that starts everytime to work. The fancy Explorer is resting in the garage hooked to a battery tender awaiting Fridays appointment for the high frequency noise draining the battery.

Hello. I did a few searches but couldnt come up with anything. If this has been discussed before, my apologies.

My wife has a 2013 XSport. I was driving with her the other day and noticed that the passenger side window, jumps up and down for the first few inches when you put it down. Basically if the window is all the way up and you send it down, it shudders up and down for around 6 inches and then proceeds to finish opening smoothly. The driver side doesnt. Its almost like it bounces up and down, or is rubbing too hard on the rubber seals and kinda is getting stuck. It doenst really get stuck. I'll try to take a video to illustrate this if I get some time.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm probably going to have to take it to the dealer to check it out. I'm worried that this would create excessive wear and tear on the window motor. She is still under warranty for now.
I have merged your thread with this one on the same issue.
In most cases the dealer replaced the window motor to fix the issue.

Peter

I took mine to the dealer and had them look at this same issue for me. They said "they all do this" and even tested a few new ex's on the lot and the all do the same thing. Final disposition: "normal".

I will say the window regulator works fine so there's not much I care to do at this point. But I'm betting I will eventually have an issue wih a window regulator. But I'm not going to worry much about it. The rear windows are dead smooth. Seems like there is something for sure wrong with the front windows but oh well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the current mileage on your wife's Explorer, Boostking? I'll look into this further to see how I can help.

Crystal

Thanks Crystal. I believe she is right at 23,000 miles. I havent discussed this with the dealership as I just noticed it. Its not my daily driver, but it is my wifes. She said she noticed it within the last month. It also seems to get slightly better if you put it up and down a few times. I think this has to do something with the friction against the rubber seals, and as you put them up and down maybe they warm up and slide better? I dont know for sure. I will make an appointment soon and see what the dealership says, since it seems I'm not the only one.

I have merged your thread with this one on the same issue.
In most cases the dealer replaced the window motor to fix the issue.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I obviously missed this thread. Sorry about that.

Back