Wiring Diagram or wire colour help please?? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring Diagram or wire colour help please??

OK in a pinch and I don't do it this way myself I use a gauge . you can do this, pull the oil pressure sender and make SURE it won't start have some one bump it over or crank it over for a few seconds and see if oil squirts out of the sender hole ..it will make it bit of a mess but.. Personally i would make the light work and then go from there. Not a big money fix use a light bulb for a temp oil "light"..just to see if the sender works

Ah, but what if his gauge is not lying? He tested the switch running and not and no change in resistance--since the sender is just a switch it should have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before I get oil all over the place, I really want to see if I can get power to the circuit.

But, I will try to test the hole to see if I can get a pressure reading

Si

yeah, I spoke with Russ (NiceFord) and we worked out the wire on the SOHC harness that sends the signal to the switch, so I grounded that wire. Turned the gauge on, turned the light off.

I then tapped the wire into the circuit for the switch on the block and nothing, so I'm guessing there is also a bad earth on the block... but for now, I'll run with it grounded so that it will pass the safety...

Thanks guys for all the info, help and for putting up with my stressing out!

Si

Ah, but what if his gauge is not lying? He tested the switch running and not and no change in resistance--since the sender is just a switch it should have.

well I thought we were past that part and because you seemed concerned it was a no pressure problem we were trying to determine if it was.? When I told him to remove the sender and turn it over I was looking for flow from the pump pumps don't make pressure they make flow no flow no pressure. That would eliminate all the guesses as to it being sender/wiring/ plugged pressure port etc

I'm coming to the conclusion that I have ground/earth issues.... I just checked the voltage across the TPS and one wire measured 5v and the other was 4.95v... sooooo... that would probably explain the high idle?

Also, can someone show me what way round the TPS is meant to be mounted? Just in case I've got it round the wrong way....

Si

the plug for the TPS faces away from the air inlet hose on the 5.0 and towards it on the 4.0 As far as the high idle is concerned I would look at the IAC Idle air control solenoid you reallly need to correct the wiring at the plug you mentioned FIRST till all the wiring is properly mated with the proper circuits that may be 90% of your problems

yeah, I spoke with Russ (NiceFord) and we worked out the wire on the SOHC harness that sends the signal to the switch, so I grounded that wire. Turned the gauge on, turned the light off.

I then tapped the wire into the circuit for the switch on the block and nothing, so I'm guessing there is also a bad earth on the block... but for now, I'll run with it grounded so that it will pass the safety...

Thanks guys for all the info, help and for putting up with my stressing out!

Si

Glad we got it figured out! Kudos though on integrating the SOHC engine bay harness to the 5.0 engine harness!

well, I'm pretty sure the wiring is correct now, I've just got a high idle... so I'm probably going to clean the valve out, you say there is a solenoid? is that also?

Thanks again everyone

Si

Back