wisps of smoke coming from the turn signal handle/steering column? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wisps of smoke coming from the turn signal handle/steering column?

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport
it seems like it is always something with my Explorer. I have a 2000 Sport.
Lately the right turn signal light will stay on occasionally, but moving the handle up to the right turn position makes it go off. Well, this morning it was on, I moved the handle up, and small wisps of smoke came from the base of the handle, inside the steering wheel column. I presume it is an electrical short, but anything I should know before I go into a dealership? Anyone else had this problem? What kind of $ am I looking at?

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats weird bc i have that same problem on my 99 xlt, it rarely ever happens at all but one time is enough for me to be concerned, i ignored the problem but if anyone has any info on the matter i would like to know as well.

-steve

You guys need a new multi-function switch which is that whole turn signal stalk. I think the cost around $50. They are pretty easy to install from what everyone else says. If you search for multi-function switch you should find more threads about it.

Mine did the same thing awhile back, and I lost the use of a blinker. I got it replaced under my used car warrenttee. Strange thing is when I saw the wisp of smoke I also lost my radio display. Had to have the radio replaced at the same time as the combo switch.

I have had so much crap with this vehicle it is ridiculous. I even forgot about that one, early on the radio display used to flicker on and off, and go dark for short periods of time. I forgot about that one. I wonder if that was somehow related to this switch as well.
Unfortunately I just don't think it is worth enough to get rid of. I want to drive it in the winter while I store a different car, but now with (my) uncertainty about the cruise switch starting the thing on fire I don't even want to put it in the garage. it'll be a long winter.....

Unless they have come out with new news I haven't heard about '00 Explorers aren't affected by the faulty cruise control switches.

I must admit I haven't looked deeply into it to try to find the exact part, but the speculation I believe I have read in the WSJ is that the part may be in more vehicles than those recalled. It is somehow the combination of the part and what happens to it that causes the fire, and therefore the rate of failure might differ somewhat between vehicles.
As for me, a non-mechanical person with a vehicle that already shares random puffs of smoke with me from the steering column, I am going to play it safe....

thanks though, I do think you are absolutely right that to date they have not mentioned that model/year in the recall.

I have a multifunction switch out of a '99 that will fit the '00. PM me and let's discuss it.

Unfortunately I just don't think it is worth enough to get rid of. I want to drive it in the winter while I store a different car, but now with (my) uncertainty about the cruise switch starting the thing on fire I don't even want to put it in the garage. it'll be a long winter.....
YouOnlyLiveTwice, don't despair. The fires are caused by a cruise control switch that plugs into the end of the master cylinder. As you have said, the Explorers haven't been recalled for it.....yet.....But if you want to be super safe, just open the hood and unplug the switch. It is on the front end of the brake master cylinder, and takes only a couple seconds to unplug it. Of course, the cruise control won't work until the switch is plugged in again, but the risk of fire is eliminated.

Thanks Runnin', that is VERY helpful! I will see if I can find a diagram here somewhere so I know I am unplugging the right thing. I definitely don't need the cruise control!
thank you!!

You're welcome, YOLT. The switch is the only one at the front of the MC, and it has two wires going to it; a black with yellow stripe, and a green with red stripe. The switch itself has a red plastic connector. You can't miss it.

I also have a 2000, and I disconnected mine when the news first came out about the fires. Even though the Explorers weren't recalled, the switch is the same type as the Ford trucks that were recalled..... :rolleyes: Anyway, I sleep better knowing it's disconnected. And with today's traffic around my area, it's impossible to use the cruise control anyway.

ROE

Back