• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ford Explorer XLT

jeri

Reaction score
City, State
rome
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer xlt
Hi Guys, I am a new member here, thanks for having me.
I have a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT , my windshield wipers only work on high, could someone
Plz tell me if they have ever had this problem and if so did you fix it and how did you
Go about it. Also the back door child locks are permanently on, would like to know how to fix them so I can open them from the inside. Thanks so much

For the windshield wipers, I would suspect the multifunction switch. It can make weird things happen when it goes.
The rear door locks are another story. There's a spring in the door locks that gets tired and breaks. My driver side rear door did this, unable to open from outside. It was a gigantic pain simply to get access to the inside of the door. But my child door locks were in the off position, so I'm not sure its the same thing. For both of them to go out at the same time time seems screwy. Did you try manipulating them on the door under the lock? They should point down to unlock (I think). Its just a little tab with a kind of slit in it directly below the lock mechanism on the door itself.

Oh, please let us know the resolution. Its how we learn stuff.

For the windshield wipers, I would suspect the multifunction switch. It can make weird things happen when it goes.
The rear door locks are another story. There's a spring in the door locks that gets tired and breaks. My driver side rear door did this, unable to open from outside. It was a gigantic pain simply to get access to the inside of the door. But my child door locks were in the off position, so I'm not sure its the same thing. For both of them to go out at the same time time seems screwy. Did you try manipulating them on the door under the lock? They should point down to unlock (I think). Its just a little tab with a kind of slit in it directly below the lock mechanism on the door itself.

Oh, please let us know the resolution. Its how we learn stuff.

Thank you for the reply, yes both of my back door handles were broke, a small piece of plastic, on the inside, not to expensive to repair

Back