Too good to be true? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Too good to be true?

eb2000

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
I've been searching and searching for a good deal on a Eddie Bauer Edition Explorer. This is what I found

LINK -- 2000 Eddie Bauer

I went and took it for a test drive and I loved it. Had great acceleration, brakes, mint condition in and outside. I talked him down to $9500 but I feel like something may be wrong with it. He said it came in with no problems and went through inspection and passed..ect. I did want him to pull the Vehicle History Report but it was getting late so we're going to finish everything on Monday. So my question is should I be looking for something wrong with this? Should I schedule something and bring it in to a shop before I buy it? or is it because this is a Mercedes-Benz dealership and they just want it off their lot? I guess I'm just curious about this price because I haven't seen anything else close to it. Let me know if there's anything special I should check or do. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what are you looking for in terms of something being wrong? was it a trade in? also is there anything you think might be wrong with it? like a fender having an 1/8" gap and at the oterh end having a 1/4" gap? or mismatched paint somewhere? like an awesome looking green fender but inside the fender is red? do all the body lines line up? is the engine super clean while the rest of the truck isnt? all telltale signs of foul play....

nah everything looked fine to me man... it's just I don't know enough to know if something may be going bad... it was a trade in... it just sounds like a great deal and I'm cautious buying used.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. When my sister got her Mustang from a Voltswagen(sp) dealer we thought the same thing. But in the end she got a great vehicle and a killer deal.

well let me tell you right now, CARFAX is a J-O-K-E.

We did $7,000.00 worth or repair on a vehicle which involved removing the engine and replacing 75% of the structure infront of the fire wall.
Three weeks after the compleation of the repairs CARFAX yielded zero information.

This would be something you might want to know.

9500 is not bad at all just test drive it troughly and see what happens that truck looks really clean!!!!

I'm with MONMIX. Carfax sucks. Thats not a super deal here, probably a fair price though. I certainly wouldn't worry that it is too low, it is definately on the charts. Check the trans fluid and take it to a transmission shop. Take it off the pavement and make sure the 4wd works as it should with no noises.

My wife was in an accident that the insurance paid $17,450 in repairs to our 2000 Honda accord. that was a year ago. Nothing is on the carfax reports. Also, $9500 is a great deal but it is not a steal. I see those models all the time going for around those prices. If it is a good truck and you like it then go for it. Good luck.

Where were these deals when I bought my 2000 XLS last year for $13?

Take it to a mechanic 2. We took mine to a local mechanic before we bought it...payed like 50 bucks and he let us kno that a few things were wrong...ended up talking the guy down 2500 on the price plus having a option to return the truck if the tranny was screwed up (mechanic said tranny fluid looked burnt) ended up just needing a flush...

If the "X" is right it's a really good price, but not a real steal.........If there are problems, then that is a different story. I'd say that they are just wanting to move it. It's not their brand it's 5 years old to them, and they make their money selling cars not running a car show................."pear"

pear is the closest to the truth. There is risk in all used cars; weigh the reputation of the seller versus the price. You should demand to pay less to a seller that is farther away, smaller, on an auction site, etc. You have less recourse with those. Someone closer to you that you know is less likely to hurt you, during or after the sale.
I bought my Mountaineer two years ago for $8500 through Ebay, 98K in Milwaukee.
Good luck,
DonW

MONMIX said:
well let me tell you right now, CARFAX is a J-O-K-E.

I second this. I looked up my vin # not too long ago, it showed nothing to report.

I did $12,000 worth of damage when it had 10,000 miles on it. It would have been a total but it was still the current model year (2001), which they factored into it's value.

CarFax showed damage to my one car...which had a police report filed into it...but didn't show the accident on my dad's car which no police report was filed...I'm not sure if this has to do with how it finds it's information, but i'd still check carfax it worked for me i guess...

usually the price reflects how many miles are on the car!

That price sounds fine. There are way too many used Explorers and used cars in general right now for anybody to really get Blue Book for anything. Heck, I got mine two summers ago for $8000 when BB on it was $12,500. I would have it checked over by a mechanic you trust and it may be a good idea to invest in an extended warranty for the vehicle. I bought one with mine for $1100, covering pretty much everything that isn't rountine maintenance for 3 years/36,000 miles. Its already paid for $750 of the cost in repairs I had to get done (transfer case flange/alternator).

I'm with Jayhawk on the extended warranty. I'd never buy an Explorer without one. My first Explorer went through well over 5 grand.

well when I got my 99 Dodge Ram 2500 I got the AUL 3y/36k for $1200 and didn't use it once. I guess I could get it... but man... throwing $1000+ away again would suck, but if something goes out I'm going to be pissed. hmm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the saying is...Better safe then sorry? :D I'd get it...you never know ;)

Back