• Register Today It's free!

Lookin to get an Explorer :)

Seanx

Reaction score
City, State
olean, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4.0L
Well I totaled my car hitting a deer so Im in the market for a new vehicel and a 95 Explorer XLT SportTrac 4wd came up. And Im a bit interested in it.

I just have a few questions. First off what would be a fair price for this truck? it has 79k miles and looks nice, no rust, the interior has a few rips but looks good other then that.

I havent driven it yet but I sort of know the guy selling it and he says it runs good. Im going to go drive it monday. I am also getting a carfax on it from a guy here in a day or so.

I think the guys asking around 3500 but I can probably get it lower then that.

Any suggetions?

--Sean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can go to kelly blue book to check the going rate for your ZIP. I would guess being a 95, that it has 179,000, instead of 79,000, but the carfax will tell you.

I'm guessing it's a Sport, not a Sporttrac. ;) If it's a 5-speed, I would like it more. When you test drive it, try the 4wd and low range. Look at the oil dipstck, and trans dipstick too, if an automatic.

The mileage could be correct. I worked on a '92 Camry the other day with 28,000 origional miles. I was shocked. Anyway, just check everything over and hope for the best. Good luck.

-Drew

Well it is an automatic. And I will have to see about the mileage. But are you sure about the Sport not sporttrac thing? I swear I saw it said SportTrac 4WD on the back of it but I could just be imagning things.

The BlueBook for the car is a bit more then 6,000. That seems a bit high. And for 179k miles the prices goes down to about 5,000.

How do you usually compare prices to bluebook prices? I mean would 3500$ acually be a good deal for this?

Sorry, Ive never owned or looked into a SUV befor so thanks for the help :)

--Sean

Wellcome Sean
Trac did not come out till 01

Seanx said:
How do you usually compare prices to bluebook prices? I mean would 3500$ acually be a good deal for this?

Sorry, Ive never owned or looked into a SUV befor so thanks for the help :)

--Sean
They should have a page on how to grade the vehicle, from excellent to poor. Also, they should give two prices, one for private sale, one for dealer sale.

ExplorerDMB said:
The mileage could be correct. I worked on a '92 Camry the other day with 28,000 origional miles. I was shocked. Anyway, just check everything over and hope for the best. Good luck.

-Drew
Yeah it could be right. When I bought my 90 F250 in November, it had 80,000 on it. :eek: It didn't believe it till I did a carfax, and it checked out. :cool:

So on my way home from work today I stopped by to look at the explorer again.

Its ControlTrack 4WD not SportTrack :)

I definally like the truck, I still have to drive it tommomrow. I havent even been inside of it but I can see it has power everything and curise control(something I wish I had in my last car), and looks pretty clean inside. :thumbsup:

Ill let you know how it goes tomormow. Im still waiting on the Carfax, but hopefully everything will come back clean.

I just bought a 95 XLT 4x4 auto about 2 weeks ago. I has 162k on it, sunroof, leather int with a few rips on the seats, audiophile sterio system, all power and I payed $4000. So to me $3500 sounds good.

Back