Harmonic vibration coming from front end! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Harmonic vibration coming from front end!

adarkang

Reaction score
City, State
Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer
Well this problem has been becoming consistently worse. I do have oversize tires and they are m/t's, but it is not the tire pattern. For reference, I just changed both of my lower ball joints and wheel hub bearings($$$). I am getting a vibration most of the time when I am driving that is coming from the front end, it almost feels like it is coming from the front differential. The vibration is constant except for every 1.5 seconds it gets noticeably louder. The constant vibration is very noticeable at 35mph and very noticeable at 65mph and pretty noticeable everywhere alse.

I just changed my front differential fluid and transfer case fluid also, but that did not seem to fix it.

Could it possibly be the timing chain? Transfer case? CV half axles? Could someone please help me with symptoms they were experiencing when these sort of things went bad?

I am going to be replacing the upper control arms and tierod ends since they need replacing bad, then get an alignment, but I highly doubt that will fix the problem.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ttt

Hey dude
My dad's mounty had the same problem, finally we got it fixed. He got the ball joints replaced, to no avail. After a few weeks, he got the tyres changed. That really reduced the sound. But it was still there. Then when he took the tyres for balancing, the mechanic noticed a huge dent on the inner side of the rim. It was huge. about an inch across. I'm surpried how the people who installed the tyres missed that. So my dad took the tyres to a tyre repair shop. they fixed the rim, a process called wheel laiceing (I'm not sure of the spelling). Ayway, they repaired the rim and restored it back to it's circular shape. Then make sure the person balances the rim only, and then the rim with the tyre on.

Anyway, I would suggest that u get your rims inspected for deformities or dents and preferrably have your tires replaced. Hopefully the noise will go away.
Keep me posted
bye

Well I am pretty sure it is not the rims. It could be the tires since they are M/T's. Do mud terrains get typically louder after only having like 2,000 miles on them? I am going to be replacing the upper balljoints sometime within the next week or so, since they really need replacing. I'll let you know if the alignment solves it, but any thoughts on worn cv half axles would help.

Well I promised to update and here it is. I replaced both of my CV half axles, upper and lower ball joints, outer tie-rods, and wheel bearings. Then I got an alignment and after all that, I still get that harmonic vibration. Also, when I am coming to a rolling stop, with the windows rolled down I can hear a slight clicking noise like something is engaging or disengaging. Sounds like it's coming from the transfer case or transmission area. Any ideas?

Back