Hello from CT

patarch1

Reaction score
City, State
West haven ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ranger
Hi,
I am Patrick, I live in Connecticut and I have a 97 Ranger 4wd 5sp standard.
It is currently in the shop for a mysterious 1st and 2nd gear problem.
I joined this forum to share my experience on this truck and learn about others'.
Have a great day.
Patarch1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to Explorer Forum!

Hi and welcome Patrick. I'm from CT too, not far from you.

welcome

Similar

I have a similar problem on my 94 Ex. Was hard to shift in 1st and 2nd, also grinded when shifting reverse. Replaced the slave and then had it bleed (I broke the quick disconnect on the old slave, all fluid drained). When they bled it they broke the master rod, so they replaced the master. Worked good for a week and then, hard to shift in gear again. Drove it like that for a long ride, and MIRACLE it can back good (dont know why...). I want to know what they will find on your truck to see if I missed something.:rolleyes:

Well, if only it had been so simple. Not that I underestimate the problems you had but I am still trying to swallow the cost of the repairs I had to have done.
The shop suspected the clutch to be worn out, they took the assembly transmission/engine apart and found a worn out clutch and syncros that were completely chewed. Now that many hours of labor were billed to get that looked out, the price of the syncros, bearings, clutch plate, secondary cylinder were just a joke (a bad one though!).
It took a couple days for the shop to rebuild and now I have a small leak that I suspect to be a clutch fluid one. So the truck goes back in the shop on Monday.
Here is the story for now, more to come on monday.

Back