• Register Today It's free!

More on Loud Clunk

dickd

Reaction score
City, State
Sunshine Coast Queensland
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I have read most posts on U Joints CV Transfer case and can not see any one with similar problem to mine.
I am most certain that my problem is Transfer case (4405) on 1997/8 but before spending $1000 on a used case want to look at all options.
My Clunk is only under accelaeration and when it reaches 50-60klms in any gear (Auto).It has on a couple of ocassions grinded when put in Park like it was not engaging then doing so
I get a clunk and sometimes two more.
I have done the Brown wire mod, still present
I have removed front Drive Shaft, still present
I am about to Grease the Rear Drive shaft spline and look at the Rear drive componets.

The clunk appears to come from the centre right under the driver seat (RH drive) but the secondary and third sometimes sound like coming more left than that ( Chain in Tansfer case ?) and the clunk i could inmagine being a teeth missing and maybe the chain slipping.

Steering componets are looking ok, wheel bearings tested ok.

Questions
as i feel it could be front end related if not the TC after taking the Front DS off i have a lot of play either way in the TC connection and also the Front Axle conection, in that i can move it back and forward before getting resistance (clunk one way then the other) how much play should there be.

I do have a Rear leak in the Pinion Seal and also at the front Pinion seal.

I have had the Transmission serviced by two places and one says TC and the other not sure but both say Transmission is good but slight roughness in 1-2.

The Clunk is only on acceleration 50-60klm but one note after remving the front DS it is a lot worse 40-70 does the clunk more

Also had the codes read and no faults found

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds similar to what i'm getting in my 2000 XLS with a 98 TC. Going today to get the TC yanked apart to see what it is, if it gets found i'll give you atleast a starting point if it is your TC ;) ;)

Loud Clunk Loud Scream !

I was lucky enough to get some one to let me put the X on a hiost

Front TC Bearing Shot !

Rear TC Bearing Non Existent 2- 3 " upwards and sideway movement

Looking for used TC and will fix leaking rear Pinion seal at the same time

Footnote: Whilst looking for solution the Greasing of the Rear Drive Spline fixed the Clunk from Park to Drive to reverse good tip that one

Just dropped my TC and split the cases open.
Everything is intact, no pieces or filings even the Magnet is clean !

There is noticeable play in the Front and Back Bearings, and the Shaft that goes between the two cases sits in each hole but you can move it side to side so there is movement big time.

As mentioned the chain, gears all look and feel good, some gears feel rough to touch (ie not smooth) on the flat sides.

Would any one suggest just replacing the Bearings and Oils seals and putting it back in being that the only play is the shaft between the two cases ? and the Clunk i was getting was the bearings more than say the Shaft

97 Transfer case

Just got my back from the shop. I had the same loud bang/clang while excelerating from underneath. I alos had the excessive play in the front and rear outputs from the transfer case. The first shop told me it was the transfer case. The second shop agreed and specified that the viscous couplings were bad. The tolerances were very tight and it took them a while to repair. This is a very well respected transmission and gear shop in San Antonio. Now that i have it back, it runs great.

Back