• Register Today It's free!

rear bumper

pickupman

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Well, after i got rear ended - the insurance company told me i could use the check for something custom... as long as i pick up the difference.

Since noone makes anything mass produced for the X, i found a guy up here who does jeep stuff (Waterloo, IA)... he said he could whip something up... let's see if he can do it within my budget...

or are there any rear bumpers with swing out tire carriers, high lift brackets, and cooler racks out here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont think so, atleast not what your looking for...

gotta go custom

id use the money to buy a nice welder and make one myself! ;)

yah... but it wouldn't cover training and materials both...

yah... but it wouldn't cover training and materials both...

teach yourself. a couple of hours and scraps of metal, and youll be good enough to do most anything (besides thin metal stuff, which you wont really come across unless if your doing exhaust work or other specialized work).

your welds might not look the prettiest, but thats nothing that a little grinding and paint cant fix.

and if you were to have custom shop do it, youd have to pay for the materials anyway, plus labor (which is pricy!). metals cheap enough. and once you have the welder you can use it on anything.

I'm 17... as my father never found the time to teach me to weld, i taught myself. really not all that hard.... just dont be scared and steady your hand and youll get the hang of it. read up online. if i can learn, you can.

going to second Rocan here... im 18. taught myself to weld at 16 and have made a custom front bump among other things (and by now my welds are so clean you hate to paint them!) but one idea for you (thats in your budget). go to a scrap yard and get an old steel bumper off a truck. another explorer, f150, bronco, ch**y, doesnt matter. then get a swing out tire carrier off an old Bronco II or an old izuzu or pathfinder. drill bolt and hammer till the bumper fits your car and the swingout fits the bumper. im pretty sure you can find a swing out that could fit the bumper with little work. and all this could be done without a welder- or a <$100 stick welder could be bought and be a fun toy to try out on this project! whatever you do fabricate it yourself. it will save you money and you may even get a new skill from it if you go the welder route!! nice thing about using parts from a salvage yard is you can bolt and weld the thing together therefore if a begginers weld breaks on you then there are bolts to hold it!! so go ahead. get an old steel bumper, bolt it to the truck, and start adding accessories! (spare tire, jerry can, highlift, etc)

well, we'll see what happens... i have a cheap stick welder in the garage - but time is short for learning, with a 2 year old.... maybe the front bumper is a better starting place... we'll see what happens... i like DIY, but i have very limited time :)

Back