• Register Today It's free!

Storage box under the ex?

Spicycook

Reaction score
City, State
Kennesaw ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 limited
I want to add a storage box where the spare tire used to be. Now I have no welding experience, but I'm thinking some angle iron, bolts and jb weld should be sufficient for structural support. Herculine inside and out.

Thoughts, anything I might not be thinking of?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is something I have been wanting to do for years now. I got the idea when getting out the spare tire from my car one day. I would imagine building some sort of box from angle iron and steel plate or aluminum. Not so sure JB weld would hold it, You might be able to bolt everything together and silicone around the bolts, or herculine it like you said. You would need to hinge the lid too.

Wasn't really going to rely on jb weld as a main source of support, but more along the lines off adding wood glue before screwing two pieces of wood together.

Interesting idea, but it might be a better bet to buy a small used welder and 'play around' to learn the ropes. If you stop by Denver I'd be glad to give some pointers, but to be honist it really is much easier than people make it sound; especially flux core wire feed welders, you just point and click.

That being said, 1" angle iron bolted together to form a box frame, with about 1/8" aluminum panels ibolted inside would make for a very nice box that wouldn't be too heavy, but plenty strong. I would also suggest not JB welding said box idea to the floor of the X, as it is always a good idea to make such modifications removable if necessary.

This would be the perfect project to learn how to weld.

Is the box going to be something that is lowered down like the spare tire, or are you going to build it in the floor of the cargo area?

Naasau:

I was thinking about bolting it to the floor of the ex more because i'm not sure how safe it would be to practice welding near my gas tank. I will need to come up with a plan to make sure its as sealed as possible though to keep any thing from entering the back of the ex(exhast, water, etc.). this may be a slight challange with the ridges on the floor.

Naasau and Tom:
I think I will use this box to learn to weld on. So I'll put it off till I can find a welder.

Tom:
The plan is to open the box from the inside of the ex.

So I was thinking of having the lid of the box and the part of the floor I'm gonna cut out bolted together with a twist latch to secure it in place.

Why not just build a false floor? Make it half the height of the cargo area. Then have it slide out on rails. I have seen this setup in emergency vehicles. Having it outside seem like it wouldn't be too safe, secure or strong.

How would it not be safe, secure or strong?

Wasn't really going to rely on jb weld as a main source of support, but more along the lines off adding wood glue before screwing two pieces of wood together.

Off the subject.... but, for what it is worth, a properly glued joint is stronger than any nailed or screwed together joint.

How would it not be safe, secure or strong?

If I get what you want to do, the box would sit outside under the X where the spare is. What happens if your on a trail or something & hit something & you can take it out. What happens if something fails & it falls off or drags on the ground possibly becoming a flying object to traffic around you. What about weathering & rust & corrosion? If I was a thief I'd crawl right under the thing & cut a hole into it or pry it open with a crowbar & take what I wanted.

That's just my thinking....

If I get what you want to do, the box would sit outside under the X where the spare is. What happens if your on a trail or something & hit something & you can take it out. What happens if something fails & it falls off or drags on the ground possibly becoming a flying object to traffic around you. What about weathering & rust & corrosion? If I was a thief I'd crawl right under the thing & cut a hole into it or pry it open with a crowbar & take what I wanted.

That's just my thinking....

I'd be more concerned with my rear end if something took it out, however once it's built and put in I will take a look and see if some kind of skid plate is required to prevent snags. But honestly I don't think it's going to be an issue. It's only going to hang a inch or two lower then where the spare tire would.

If something just falls off? Then I did some piss poor planning and craftsmanship.

Rust and corrosion? That's already been answered, however if you think herculining wont be enough I'll take some suggestions.

Honestly, a thief would just bust my window before he bothered with a concealed box. But if he knew I had it there and really wanted my straps, spare belts, and jumper cables then that would be a determined sob.

Off the subject.... but, for what it is worth, a properly glued joint is stronger than any nailed or screwed together joint.

Yeah that was my thought process too.

great idea. cut the floor out frame to frame use the angle iron the make a drop in frame that catches the top of the floor weld the rest of the box from that. i would make it shallower than the spare just cause i know the spare drug the ground when i would take it off road. i had been thinking about what to do with that space, plus it will give me a good look at the frame for my roll cage. welding is pretty easy for this kind of stuff. nothing a grinder cant fix any way. i sure there are lots of people near you that can help you.

great idea. cut the floor out frame to frame use the angle iron the make a drop in frame that catches the top of the floor weld the rest of the box from that. i would make it shallower than the spare just cause i know the spare drug the ground when i would take it off road. i had been thinking about what to do with that space, plus it will give me a good look at the frame for my roll cage. welding is pretty easy for this kind of stuff. nothing a grinder cant fix any way. i sure there are lots of people near you that can help you.

When the spare hit the ground, were you running stock or was there a lift?

i think it was stock, it has a 3.5 lift now but i dont carry the spare under there any more.

Back