New heater control valves keep leaking - tips?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New heater control valves keep leaking - tips??

Jim Jermain

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLS
I've replace three heater control valves on my '00 Explorer 4.0 OHV. In each case they start leaking within a few months of replacement. The truck sat for a week outside and it's getting fairly cold in WI. When I started the truck I noticed coolant dripping where the shaft enters the valve. I replaced the valve again yesterday and I noticed the brand new valve started leaking briefly from the exact same spot for a few minutes and then stopped. Is it possible I have air in the system and the seal is drying out thus causing a leak? The valve is about at the highest point in the system. If that's the case any tips on how to get the air out and valve / hoses full of coolant? I have tried different brand valves, although I have not tried the Ford OEM valve.

Thanks,

Jim

As long as the clamps are nice and snug, it shouldn't leak...

Might make sense to buy Ford OEM, I have noticed that the parts lately are getting cheaper, and not monetarily either. (Most made in China)

The OEM one lasted how long? Prob years, right?

The cheap aftermarket ones lasted months.

Maybe the OEM one is better quality OR there is another problem.

How old is the rad cap, is it working right? If its allowing too much pressure to build that might be blowing them out. If its original, I'd replace it. They are cheap and (contrary to popular belief) dont last forever.

Good thoughts, thanks for the tips. I'm off to the Ford dealer for a valve and cap.

Thanks,

Jim

Back