• Register Today It's free!

Adjustable Ride control

Richard Giles

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsbridge, Devon, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Auto
I have a warning light coming on occasionaly for the Adjustable ride control on my 2000 4.0 Ltr. Can anybody tell me what the likely cause, component maybe and also describe the whole system and how it works? My local garages aren't that clued up on Explorers, so it may well end up me having to get the new parts for them to do a straight swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi richard
the first thing to check is the activating rod is connected its between the rear axle on the right side and the chassie. the control unit is allso fitted there. theair pump is on the chassie rail above the spare . there are pipes and valves running from the air pump to the shockers . there is also an on off switch in the cargo area. if all the parts are conected if you turn on the ignition and put weight on the back you should hear the air pump start. cheers chris

hi richard
the first thing to check is the activating rod is connected its between the rear axle on the right side and the chassie. the control unit is allso fitted there. theair pump is on the chassie rail above the spare . there are pipes and valves running from the air pump to the shockers . there is also an on off switch in the cargo area. if all the parts are conected if you turn on the ignition and put weight on the back you should hear the air pump start. cheers chris

Sorry for the VERY slow reply. Thanks for that Chris, atleast it gives me an idea of where to start looking, Cheers, Rich

Thanks for that Chris

I have a warning light coming on occasionaly for the Adjustable ride control on my 2000 4.0 Ltr. Can anybody tell me what the likely cause, component maybe and also describe the whole system and how it works? My local garages aren't that clued up on Explorers, so it may well end up me having to get the new parts for them to do a straight swap.

I think it maybe the ride height, sensor clip that goes onto the axle, get under the car and check it not loose if it is use a cable tie. that the usual suspect in this case and the cheapest to fix.

Back