Tranny issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny issue

nikbob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer sohc 4.0
I went fishing this weekend and I was driving home about 70 mph when the transmission appeared to disengage and started revving highly. I put the tranny in neutral and the noise/revving ceased. I put the car back in gear and continued to drive. It seems to happen when I let off of the accelerator, I give it gas and it re-engages. Can someone give me an idea about what I am faced with? Thanks.

I have a 1997 4.0 SOHC with control trac and the O/D light is not on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you had the transmission serviced recently? If not it almost sounds like possibly the filter is plugged up.

Transfer case I think.

I had the same problem on a lincoln. Turned out to be the range selector on the side of the tranny.

I had a problem like this on my 96 4.0 which lasted for about 6 months, any speed above 35 & letting off the gas would make this noise like gears spinning at a really high rpm, weird thing was that it didn't do it all of the time. I wasn't sure what it was so I figured when whatever finally broke I'd fix it then. Turned out to be the T-case & upon further research it is actually a design flaw with the case halves themselves. Ended up swapping out the T-case with an identical one for now just to get back on the road.

Back