Big 3 & HO Alternator = voltage drop? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big 3 & HO Alternator = voltage drop?

Karpiel73

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport
Last summer I purchased an HO alternator from DB Electrical and all the wiring from knu koncepts for the big 3. Installed everything and now when im idling the volt meter drops and once I ge on the gas it jumps up, all the lights get really bright then back to normal brightness. I never had this problem with the stock alt. So what could be the problem? Thanks!.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Voltage regulator is probably not working properly. It determines how much power the alternator needs to generate to keep the battery charged.

Being a db alternator it probably isn't making enough voltage at idle. Contact them, a smaller pulley will help assuming the alt can spin faster when the engine redlines

Thanks. I wanted to ask the forum before I contacted them.

Voltage regulator is probably not working properly. It determines how much power the alternator needs to generate to keep the battery charged.

Is the regulator a part of the alternator?

Thanks. I wanted to ask the forum before I contacted them.

Is the regulator a part of the alternator?

Just give em a call, they are very helpful. If it wasn't for their customer service I wouldn't suggest them lol
The regulator is part of the alternator. Modern vehicles use an internal regulator

Alright cool. Thanks for the help!

I had the same issue when I got my High output alternator from them, it turned out my serpentine belt was too loose, had to get a smaller size

I had the same issue when I got my High output alternator from them, it turned out my serpentine belt was too loose, had to get a smaller size

That would be a simple fix. Did you just try a new belt and it worked?

Yes swapping to a smaller belt solved my problem, I don't remember the length though

I'll shoot them an email and if their fix seems to be a pain or expensive then I will try a belt. Thanks!

I'll shoot them an email and if their fix seems to be a pain or expensive then I will try a belt. Thanks!

Check that the belt properly wraps around the alternator pulley, should be obvious if it doesn't.

Back