Wiring pigtails for turn signals, tail lights, etc. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring pigtails for turn signals, tail lights, etc.

JeepGuy25

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer E.B.
Hey all. I recently purchased a 2010 Eddie Bauer Explorer. It has fairly low miles, and its reasonably clean. The guy I bought it from was a firefighter, and he had quite a lot of lighting mods done for his emergency lights. Im not exactly thrilled with what Im finding. Everything works, for the most part. But they drilled big holes in the fog housings, and the tail housings for mounting strobes. So...fog housings are full of water.

Along with that, when he had all the lights removed, they were barbarians. They left a lot of bare wires and splices. What i want to do is, fix all of that haha. I see that most of the sockets are actually modular. So a harness plugs into the socket. Cool... Does anyone know where I can get the harness connector, with like 12" of wire? Basically a pigtail?

I would need front turn signal, front marker light, rear tail/turn light. I can get headlight and fog light easy enough. Ill just get the generic connector for those bulbs.

Thanks in advance for any help!! Im crusing around on the ford parts sites, but not finding much.

Justin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would go to your local pick a part (parts recycler) and get a wiring harness off of another vehicle to use on yours. It honestly sounds like it would be a lot easier for you to just run a new used complete harness.

D Hook: That is awesome!!!! Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for pointing me to the link.

Flag Gibby: That is my back up plan. Honestly, Im not sure how easy it is to run the harnesses. I will take a look. For instance, when I had my jeep, the front lighting harness unplugged right up by the radiator support, and easily attached across the front. So if the harness is modular, and I can unplug, route and reattach it easily, I might very well do that. I havent checked my local junk yards for the 05-10 explorers, but I imagine there has to be a few. Thanks for the suggestion!

Justin

Man those plugs are EXPENSIVE!!!

Ok... Im going to hit some junk yards and see what I can find harness wise.

Does anyone know if the front lighting, and rear lighting harnesses are modular? Can they be unplugged and replaced without ripping too much apart?

On the front, I traced everything a bit, but not too closely. Looks like they are bundled with other lights though. Rear, Im thinking might be modular, due to the tow packages and all. Might find a bulkhead behind the rear bumper or something.

Justin

Back