• Register Today It's free!

KYB Gas a just or Monroe Reflex

Leeroy38

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD
Hey everyone gonna be replacing the shocks on the Ex. Just wondering has anyone had experience with KYBs or Monroes? I know this truck will never handle like a Miata in the turns but I do want something more sporty. Any suggestions? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the KYB and they are doing really well.

How do they feel cornering?

Just remember, the shocks are only part of the equation. That said, I have a set of Gas-A-Just shocks and it definitely added some stiffness to the suspension. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Also, if you want your Ex to corner better, it'd be worth lowering it and getting stiffer springs along with a fatter sway bar to handle the lean.

Good luck!

I'm replacing my bushings as well. There's a energy suspension kit that I'm buying and will do all at the same time. Do you think this is a good package? http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/packagedeal154

Polyurethane bushings will take some of the slop out of your suspension, but can also start squeaking after a bit - might be worth adding a little lube to the bushings when you install them.

I'm very pleased with the KYB gas-a-just's

I just put on KYB Gas-A-Justs about a month ago. Firm up my ride slightly, but not anything close to stiff. Handles washboard country dirt roads well.

IMO, these are not a performance shock to handle carving corners. I consider them a good alternative to OEM, and "think" this is how the OEM shocks rode when new :dunno:

How's the braking with these?

How's the braking with these?

I'd say as good as OE shock braking would be, in that the nose dive and rear lift is minimal. Is that what you're asking?

They *are* a slight upgrade as they're monotube shocks as opposed to the twin tube shocks that come stock.

I'd say as good as OE shock braking would be, in that the nose dive and rear lift is minimal. Is that what you're asking?
Yea mine nose dives real bad. Makes stopping scary sometimes

They corner well in my opinion, and more noticeably a drastic reduction in side to side rocking movement. But better for the handling than the shocks was doing the add-a-leaf that was $23.00 well spent.

They corner well in my opinion, and more noticeably a drastic reduction in side to side rocking movement. But better for the handling than the shocks was doing the add-a-leaf that was $23.00 well spent.
How hard is that to do?

Back