• Register Today It's free!

Weird Start issue sometimes

Mickalo

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer w/4.0 4wd
Not sure if this is normal or not. Got a 2010 XLT 4.0 sohc got about 111k on it runs great good mileage no real problems.Once in awhile, haven't been able to determine any sort of pattern to it, when I got to start it hear the fuel pump kick in start it and sometimes it will crank maybe 4-5secs before starting and sometime it just pops right over. Doesn't seem to matter whither it's cold or hot, full tank or almost empty, outside temps warm or cold.

The fuel filter was replace about 2mos ago no issues with stalling or rough idle, air filter is in good shape, just this random long starting period sometimes to start.

Could this be a sign of a fuel pump possibly or fuel pressure sensor going out ?

TIA

Is the crank speed the same in both cases?

None of the other factors should affect it. If the fuel pressure has reached the correct pressure it should be the same. Ignition/spark relate may be the only other area causing the delay. Crank position sensor etc.

yea the cranking speed is fine always starts. checking the spark plugs was going to be my next to-do

Ignition does not equal spark plugs, not what I said. They won't cause that and if they were bad you'd have other issues.

Back