• Register Today It's free!

Rear wheel vibration

Dino360

Reaction score
City, State
TX-Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie bauer
My 04 4x4 explorer Eddie Bauer ran smooth with no issues. I had a leveling kit/ lift put on (1.5 rear and 2.5 front). Now I'm feeling like there's a ball in the tire at low speed and a severe vibration at highway speed. It was aligned and drives straight. I had the tires balanced and rotated. The driver/ rear wheel appears to be bouncing up and down at highway speeds. I did notice that it seemed to drive normal when the vehicle was loaded (7 people).All this started the day I picked it up from the shop that installed the leveling kit and aligned it. Any ideas or suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

suspect tread delamination ......jack up rear of truck....spin tyres by hand....check for out of round....should be easy to spot...

Good point. Could even rotate suspected tire(s) from front to back to see if vibration moves to new location

Thanks for the input. My fault for not mentioning that I drove straight to the tire shop for balance and rotation after the alignment. Tires are under warranty and still fine.

If the wheel is bouncing up and down, then the shock isn’t keep it on the ground.

Thanks for the suggestion number 4. It happened right after the level kit was installed. It drove perfectly smooth before so I wouldn't think the shock is the culprit. I replaced both rear cv shafts but the problem is still not fixed.

Don't assume anything is OK just because you had it worked on. Move the tire that is bouncing to another location and see if there is a change. Those weights they put on can fall off. If the tire is bouncing there is a problem with the rotating assembly, (tire out of round, out of balance, bent rim, mounting off center).

Don't assume anything is OK just because you had it worked on. Move the tire that is bouncing to another location and see if there is a change. Those weights they put on can fall off. If the tire is bouncing there is a problem with the rotating assembly, (tire out of round, out of balance, bent rim, mounting off center).
Very good point 2Trux, did you replace the rims?

Thanks for the suggestion. As mentioned, I did have the tires balanced and rotated after the leveling kit was installed. Usually, a problem of this nature is noticed at a moderate to higher speed from my experience. This wheel is noticeably bouncing somewhat violently even at the slowest of speeds. I don't believe it's a balancing or wheel issue. The trying to upload a video of the wheel lifted off the ground so y'all can get a better idea of what im talking about.

Make sure the axle nut is properly torqued. If you jack up the rear end, can you move the wheel?

Edit: it = nut

Make sure the axle it is properly torqued. If you jack up the rear end, can you move the wheel?

I can check that but I'm not sure that would be the issue. It ran perfectly smooth up until the morning I dropped it off at the 4x4 shop. By the afternoon it had developed this vibration. I don't believe they removed the cv shaft to install the leveling block but it's definitely worth taking a look.

Thanks for your thoughts

I’d jack it up, check the bearing for play, and then swap that tire on the front to rule out a tire issue.

After reading all this, I think that your strut has failed, but you seem resistive to suggestions to prove/eliminate this scenario.

You said that the tires were balanced and rotated right after the lift was installed. How many miles did you drive with the lift before the rotation and balance? Was the vibration present during the drive between the lift install and the tire rotation?

If this were my truck I would rotate tires again and see if the problem moves with the tire or stays at that position. If you have a tire fault, your risking your safety and the safety of others on the road with you.

My money is still on the strut. Are they the original struts? If the shop that installed the lift was unfamiliar with the vehicle they could have damaged the strut.

I appreciate all the good info y'all are throwing out. I've lifted to check the bearings before doing the cv shafts. I'm reluctant to say it's a strut issue because the problem persists at such a slow speed. I drove it approximately 30 miles from the time it left the 4x4 shop to the time I got to the tire shop and the vibration began immediately after the lift install when it was driving smooth as could be a couple hours earlier. I wasn't able to load a video here so I uploaded to YouTube and attached a link if y'all wanna take a look to get a better idea of what I'm saying.

Thanks for all the help

Wow! There is something seriously wrong there. I would contact both shops immediately.

Could you pull the wheel and post some pics of the suspension and strut area?

I dropped it to a shop to get their opinion so I don't have the truck right now but if they don't figure it out I can do that. I do appreciate all the comments and hope y'all understand why I'm leaning away from the strut or wheel issue. I believe it's a drive line problem but can't figure it out. Hopefully someone more experienced than me might share some wisdom.

Thanks y'all

It’s either a bent axle or a bearing in the diff.

It’s either a bent axle or a bearing in the diff.
Thanks, I was thinking it has to be in the diff. The old cv shaft was doing it and now the new one is doing the same thing.

Can you get a good video of the axle at the diff?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back