2005 rear tie rod/toe link inner bolt spinning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 rear tie rod/toe link inner bolt spinning

Worldclimb

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs,CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005, XLT v6 4.0 gas
The inner bolt of the (right) rear tie rod/toe link has a flag to stop it spinning while you undo the nut, but mine is spinning. Any idea how I can get the nut off? Tried vice grips and can't hold it.

Reason I'm in there is I just had the wheel bearing replaced and noticed there was still a little play in the wheel. and noticed this...

So I presume I have to replace the entire toe link. Link to the correct and recommend part would be great too. I have Napa, Autozone and O'Reilly near me.

I do own a grinder, but that feels like a last resort. :/

FYI 2005 4wd XLT 4.0L

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JCLEJU/

You're talking about the bolt that's next to the differential, right? best bet would be to cut the inner boot open and vice grip on the other side of the bracket. beyond that, apply cutting wheel to tie rod.

If you're having problems at the spindle end, I'm out of ideas that don't involve precision grinding or a new spindle.

Smack the back of the tie rod to try and reseat the tapered shaft, or try to figure how to clamp it to force it forward. Other idea is to get a nut splitter if it will fit.

Back