• Register Today It's free!

Hi from Budapest with my 1998

GaborB

Reaction score
City, State
Budapest
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 4.0 SOHC XLT
Hi from Budapest. I bought my Explorer in 2005 and this forum helped me a lot. I am just made a registration to show my car, what is the result, thank you for everybody who wrote very useful articles. Unfortunatly this car had a lot of hidden problems and I couldnt find service stations and parts at the beginning in my city. Official Ford services just headache, only for EU Fords. Nowadays I have a few very good repair man locally who can help me, this car made friends. Not too much Explorer here. It is like a hobby for me. And I like this old style car. In my city lot of new, small plastic cars, I really like this car when I drive sometimes.
I had to rebuild the engine, the transmission and other parts also. Now it can run fast and strong again without problem. I installed an individual multi injection Zavoli LPG system, 90Liter toroid under the rear cargo area, no differences with the power but the LPG price is the half of the gasoline. Sometimes I run with petrol a little bit but 90% LPG without problem. Trans has shift kit, mod.converter, hydro pack, additional oil cooler. Really strong and I like it. It could go 160km/h at 3000rpm on the highway if needed. Middle exhaust was changed, KN filter in it, and it has very good sound now, I like it at 90km/h when it switch into the 5th and the rpm is low, V6 music.
I installed the TuffCountry 2" front and Add-a-leaf rear with Rancho shocks and 30mm alu wheel spacers. The car is stable in the corners also. I could buy used, dirty, old MickeyThompson wheels from a garage, I cleaned and polished it and install the Michelin Cross Country 255/70R16. I made the BWM, I use it on the dry asphalt, (and it can burn the rears when my wife cant see and I am kid again). I attach a few picture... I like this car and don't want to sell. Lot of memories with my kids, we explore this country with this Explorer.....And I hope we will not finished it.

A few pics:
IMG_0620.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG
IMG_6160.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG
20150914_180011000_iOS.jpg
20150914_180416000_iOS.jpg
IMG_5197.JPG
20160912_112622705_iOS.jpg
2011Balcsi164.JPG
IMG_4847.jpg

20160525_080646408_iOS 1(1).jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I will take and upload pictures within a few days. My Explorer is running with the Zavoli Alisei N kit 6 Cyl. sequential injection system. The newer type injectors were not good at the beginning, so finally the older PAN injectors were installed and they are working fine since 2012. They were installed into the air intake plastic above each cylinder. The Zavoli software is good, I could connect easy with my laptop and adjust the MAP and other settings at the beginning. It was a "game" to adjust it well, I used the ELM327 to see the O2 and the long and short term Fuel trim datas from the PCM in the same time when I used the Zavoli software to see the LPG injection times and values while my friend drove the car in different conditions. AT the end the LPG MAP was fine and no error code on the dashboard. I can run up to the max 5500RPM with LPG if need. Now the car is running similar as with petrol. I change the LPG filter once a year and check the pipes with foam and I haven't got any other problem with it. I installed that the car cold start always with petrol and after the 40C water temp and 2000RPM it change into LPG automaticly. I cant feel the switching just see the green LED that is OK. This system able to make a cold start only with LPG but I think it is not the best solution for this V6 in long term.

Nice rig!

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome.

Back