Lifting a 1995 Exp using a '98 ranger lift kit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifting a 1995 Exp using a '98 ranger lift kit?

M.D. Farragher

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mukilteo, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
I have been diligently sifting through the data on this site and others regarding lifting 2nd generation Exp, and while it is voluminous, it is also quite old. I just inherited a '95 XLT that is in good shape and intend to turn it into my camping/trail rig. I have read about the TT and body lift, as well as the coil over conversion for the front ends. Some here and some on the Ranger forum. One thing I haven't seen is any discussion of using a 4" lift kit intended for a 1998 Ranger on a 1995 Exp. From everything I have seen it looks like it would work. From all the images I have viewed the front suspensions for these two vehicles look identical. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone done it? I'm a little surprised that kits specifically for the Exp aren't still available, since you can pick up one of these mighty sturdy body on frame 4X4s for seriously reasonable money. Seems like a market waiting to be revived.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just posted this same question earlier today.
What gives with these lift kit companies?

I think these companies are full of crap. Either that or they just know the rears are different so they just say “nope, won’t work”.

If your talking about a drop bracket lift kit, there is an issue with them and the 95. 95 has never been included in the drop bracket lift kits.

The bolt on T-bar brackets just get removed, and the drop brackets are bolted on using the factory bolt holes. The 95 has weld on torsion bar brackets, and newer years have bolt on brackets. You can cut them off to make room for the drop brackets, but your going to have some plate welding and drill/tap work, to make them fit.

95-96 have a CAD front axle, and the rest have live front axles. These front axles and the weld on T-bar brackets might be why they steer clear of these years. They still work with the CAD axles tho.

Manufacturer's want to make & sell bolt on kits, aimed to sell to the avg Joe, who can install them in a weekend, with normal hand tools.

Your suspension lift options for the 95 are, fabricate for torsion bar drop brackets, 2" Torsion twist, Coil overs, BTF Long travel, or SAS.

Don't get me wrong, the first 2nd gen 95 is still capable of being used, it just has it's own quirks unlike any other years. Click the Black Hole link in my signature if you want to see what can be done to a 95.

Ok so what about the 99? Any reason it won’t bolt right up to it? The 99 has bolt on t-bar brackets.

If your talking about a drop bracket lift kit, there is an issue with them and the 95. 95 has never been included in the drop bracket lift kits.

The bolt on T-bar brackets just get removed, and the drop brackets are bolted on using the factory bolt holes. The 95 has weld on torsion bar brackets, and newer years have bolt on brackets. You can cut them off to make room for the drop brackets, but your going to have some plate welding and drill/tap work, to make them fit.

95-97.5 have a CAD front axle, and the rest have live front axles. These front axles and the weld on T-bar brackets might be why they steer clear of these years. They still work with the CAD axles tho.

Manufacturer's want to make & sell bolt on kits, aimed to sell to the avg Joe, who can install them in a weekend, with normal hand tools.

Your suspension lift options for the 95 are, fabricate for torsion bar drop brackets, 2" Torsion twist, Coil overs, BTF Long travel, or SAS.

Don't get me wrong, the first 2nd gen 95 is still capable of being used, it just has it's own quirks unlike any other years. Click the Black Hole link in my signature if you want to see what can be done to a 95.

So, if am reading this right, and I have been through your black hole link, the axle drop brackets, and the knuckles from a '98 ranger lift kit would bolt on to a '95 Ex. Is that what you believe? Since I am heading for coil overs, and don't really care about the rear since I am going to simply replace the springs with 4" springs, and there really isn't much in those kits for the rear, all I am really looking for is the axle brackets and Knuckles. By the way, since the rear of a '98 ranger is already a spring over, why couldn't one swap out the rear axle of the EX with a ranger rear axle and be that far ahead of the game?

@M.D. Farragher .... Yes everything from a Torsion bar IFS 4" lift kit, will be a direct bolt on swap, except the Torsion brackets. Going to a coil over would eliminate them from the lift, so all good there. I thought Super Lifts made a kit just for the Explorer that included the 4" lift leafs??

You should research the 8.8 axles, but If I recall correctly, the rear 8.8 in the ranger & the explorer are different. Explorer 8.8 are much stronger with 7/8" shafts and bigger bearings due to the huge weight difference from a Ranger. Rangers are only 3/4" shafts. I also recall the housing depths are different, and some (Solid) Ranger covers won't fit over deep gear sets, such as 4:56+. Ranger leafs are also mounted outboard of the frame rails, and perch placements are different.

Going SOA is not hard, and keeping your current rear axle is best. SOA kits are dirt cheap, and only require a little welding for the perches.

On the 1995 Explorer's the torsion bar bracket was riveted to the frame. On 1996 & up they were bolted to the frame. That is why no lift kit company covers the 1995 Explorers.

@M.D. Farragher .... Yes everything from a Torsion bar IFS 4" lift kit, will be a direct bolt on swap, except the Torsion brackets. Going to a coil over would eliminate them from the lift, so all good there. I thought Super Lifts made a kit just for the Explorer that included the 4" lift leafs??

You should research the 8.8 axles, but If I recall correctly, the rear 8.8 in the ranger & the explorer are different. Explorer 8.8 are much stronger with 7/8" shafts and bigger bearings due to the huge weight difference from a Ranger. Rangers are only 3/4" shafts. I also recall the housing depths are different, and some (Solid) Ranger covers won't fit over deep gear sets, such as 4:56+. Ranger leafs are also mounted outboard of the frame rails, and perch placements are different.

Going SOA is not hard, and keeping your current rear axle is best. SOA kits are dirt cheap, and only require a little welding for the perches.

That is good news re the lift kit parts. It is too bad they are so expensive, but those knuckles are where the money is.

I thought I remembered reading that about the Ranger vs Ex rear axles. I'm thinking the SOA swap would make the tail high on an EX if you only went with a 4" lift up front. Found these springs the other day while doing research on the web. Ford Explorer (1991-00) Rear Lift Springs - 04" (Pair)
Pricey, but a clean lift without the looseness of long shackles, and I need to replace the springs anyway.

To your knowledge, has anyone ever done a radius arm/coil over rear suspension for the EX?

Careful with leaf years. The bushings change sizes between gens.

Haven't seen anybody do that fabrication to the rear yet.

Sorry Dan, they are welded on.

20190628_125757.jpg

Transmission cross member is still bolted onto them tho. Lol

View attachment 171458

I checked with them, and when you order you tell them the year, and they get it right. Plus, that is $700 Canadian. So a bit of a savings. Didn't realize they were just 100 miles north of me.

You know on your coil over conversion you mention using an extension for the bottom of the shock to keep it out of the way of the axle. Would that be part of the Super lift kit, or is it a special to your knowledge?

:moon:

View attachment 171458

In my defense, it's been 10 years since I was in the Explorer/Mountaineer game:moon:

I don't use an extension on my shocks, but I don't use a drop bracket lift either. Maybe someone running a stupidlift and coil overs, can help you better here.

I have seen some Ranger people use them extended shock mounts, and I have seen them bottom out those shocks (shearing the shaft in half), as they lose articulation with them. Remember, those longer extension mounts, also make the shocks shorter. You only have 6" of total travel, and no sense losing any of that.

Dan, I posted earlier they was welded. Guess you didn't see that, so I just had to show you. :p

Superlift only sells a ranger kit now, no explorer kits.

Sounds like from what I’m gathering from this post and from what I was told by RC and Superlift that those companies are just assuming that all explorers have weld on t bar brackets. That’s why they just say nope won’t fit.

Back