What else do I need?

K9SUV

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT 4WD 4.0L
So, just bought a '07 XLT with 130k on the clock. So far I have replaced the struts/springs, installed a bull bar, upped the tires to 245/75-r17 BFG Rough Terrains, and replaced the ignition switch (thanks to this forum) for a haunted dome light.

So without having to read through all the past posts (because I'm lazy that way) what else should I replace now or anticipate replacing soon?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the 4.0 six

Well, there’s always that little issue of the timing chains and tensioner’s but hopefully not for a few years

Pay close attention to any engine noise especially at startup like a rattling sound. Pay close attention to the Transmission for hard shifts-flairs. Wheel bearings noise front and back.

Find out the service history. Look for omissions and attend to them. It may be just me but, you can't really go overboard on this. I recently got a 2010 with 135K and I'm going over every thing. Since you asked: Transmission, Transfer case, and differential serviced. Engine oil (and filter)changed to full synthetic. Brake fluid changed, pads changed too. While I was doing that, I discovered that one of the front bearings was going bad and the parking brake is a separate system. So, more wheel work to finish. Next up: cooling system. Radiators and thermostat housings tend to leak. Hoses should be inspected too. Power steering fluid was changed too.
As you can tell, I'm of the school of thought that when you buy a used car you shouldn't just drive it and hope it holds together. Get preemptive with it, inspect it, look for trouble, get after the deferred maintenance and known problems. Do this and you should get years of trouble free use from your vehicle.

Back