• Register Today It's free!

Front quick strut

ExplorerDan246

Reaction score
City, State
Laurel, Md.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Hi everybody, I was replacing the struts on my 2003 Explorer. It is the first time I have tried this and I have a problem. I got the strut out easy enough but am having problems getting the new one set in. This is on the front passenger side. I have the new one attached up top with the three bolts but the bolt I removed or broke depending on who you ask the sway bar link so I could pull the control arm down to line up the holes, I put the bottom bolt through. so after I put the bolt through the upper control arm was pointed downward at an angle and everything was stiff I could not push anything up and down. I had read somewhere that you place a jack underneath of the lower control arm to tighten that bolt. I jacked it up a little to see if anything would change it did not everything was still locked in place. I took the bottom bolt back out an was able to move the control arms again. My question is does it take the weight of the truck after putting the tire back on to get things moving right again or am I going to break something if I do that. The new struts are almost identical to the old ones. Thanks!

A piece of wood on top of the jack underneath the bottom of the strut may help compress it alittle easier, if the shock absolutely will not compress for you it’s best not to try anything dangerous it could be an old defective strut or something else. Worst case scenario put the old one back on or best case your new one on if you’re able and take it to a professional in the event you aren’t able.

Something sounds wrong (duh). Did you figure it out? Its supposed to be a QUICK-strut!

Back