Well, it's official.

HIX

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Mazda 4.0 4x4 SuperCab
I back in the Explorer Game...Sorta.

Since selling the solid axle b4k I have been restoring a few trucks but my main vehicle project is a 1965 scout 80. I was toying w/ putting the 99 4.3 vortec v6 sitting on my work bench into it. When taking down the dimensions of the frame I noticed that I have a wicked crack and the frame is tweaked in 1 inch on the drivers side.:eek:

Just at the right time I came across a explorer that had been rolled so I am going to swap the explorer frame under the scout body. Should save me a ton of time/money!

PS anyone have a link to the parking pawl replacement. I did a search but could not find it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like a sweet project, let us know how it turns out!

interesting I can't wait to see this. My buddy keeps telling me to just swap my Explorer body onto this 77EB chassis I have but I am not into it.

The hardest part about it is that I have to shorten the wheelbase by 7 inches. I can situate the front axle about 2 inches farther forward from where the stock axle is on the body to take some of it. I am going to move the rear axle froward 4 or so by swaping out the long ass ranger leafs for a set of front waggy springs which are shorter and have an off set that will aid in the positioning. Then move the shackle hangars forward to match and lop off the part of the fram that extends out the rear and frame it out with a crossmember/bumper. I'l run it w/ the stock ttb modified by one of my pantented ghetto fab homemade lifts untill I can finish up the front. Should have it done by jan the 22nd

Pawl Replacement

You didn't mention the year of the Explorer but this was an interesting hit if it was a `91...

1991-94 Ford Explorer Safety Recalls
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 91V189000
Potential Number of Units Affected: 792000
Model Year: 1991; Manufactured From: JUL 1989 To: AUG 1991
Year of Recall: '91

Summary: <snipped for brevity> WHEN THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SHIFT LEVER IS PLACED IN THE PARK POSITION, THE PARK PAWL DOES NOT ALWAYS ABUT OR ENGAGE THE PARK GEAR. THIS CAN LEAD TO THE VEHICLE JUMPING OUT OF GEAR UNINTENTIONALLY, VEHICLE ROLL AWAY WHEN PARKED ON A SLOPED SURFACE, AND INADVERTENT MOTION WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED. REPAIR THE TRANSMISSION WITH A NEW PARK PAWL.

Found that info here: http://www.vmrintl.com/Usedcars/Car Reviews/Ford Explorer.htm

Have to admit that I just liked the word "pawl" and had to look it up to see what it was. I am that geeky.

Yep That's the stuff. Anyone have DIY link that can give me an idea of the swap?

Back