Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

1995 Explorer in 4-High for 10 miles on pavement!

Ok folks got this problem solved!. Traced to GEM (Generic Electronic Module) left of radio attached to dash superstructure with a single 7mm screw. After studying the Ford shop manual, it became clear that most of the connections into and out of the GEM in four multi-pin connectors were...
  2. S

Yes they do as does the under hood light and the door open bell. Also I notice that there is some hesitation while accelerating at lower speeds. I am guessing this is a sensor giving the PCM some sort of out of range signal which puts it into limp home mode. My OBD I Ford reader now will not...
  3. S

I should also mention that last week I replaced the PCM, and on start up the 4WD/4LOW and the Door Ajar lights began to flash again but the OD off light stayed off for 15-20 minutes of driving then returned to constant flashing. I verified today that the vehicle will go into 4WD when the lights...
  4. S

Ok we returned from Denver after 3000 miles with the same symptoms, the FWD,FWD Low and the Door Ajar (red) light on far left of panel flashed continuously on start up continuing for sometimes 5-10 minutes before stopping and the OD off light flashes continuously when the engine is on. The...
  5. S

Gotcha, will have to do that in a few weeks after I return from from trip to Denver. Will report back then and thanks!
  6. S

Yup I saw the light for low range on start up. To be clear, which motor are you referring to? The one on the back of the T-case?
  7. S

Thanks Gents for the feedback here. On the way back from the course I put the Explorer on a dirt farm road and tried 4 Auto on the fly. One or two seconds after the FWD light came on and it engaged!. After running 100 yards I brought it to a stop and switched it to 4 Low and was unsure if it...
  8. S

Ok so what is it that actually engages the front driveshaft through the T Case? A band clutch using a solenoid?
  9. S

Hey thanks for spending the time here with me. Did the connector re-seat-no-soap... I agree it's one of those issues or the shifting motor. Driving it to golf course today so will see if the problem persists...
  10. S

No ABS Light on. Here is how we attempted to engage 4WD. Stopped on gravel road with car in N and brake on. turned switch from 2WD to 4 Auto, shifted to D and moved off with no engagement, tried reverse and same. Then tried same procedure turning to 4 LOW with same results. 4 Auto, FWD and...
  11. S

Also if the clutch which resides in the T case is damaged, would it not leave some trace metal in the bottom of the case or oil? Oil although dark and burned smelling did not have any particulate to speak of when it was strained through filter media nor did a magnet extract any larger pieces...
  12. S

Again you are correct, the straight up position 4 Auto was where it was when it was run on pavement. It would not go into either after the trans service today. As I said the trans and 4X guy who has been in business since 1972, suggested that it was either the relay which controls the shift...
  13. S

I stand corrected, yes it is. Just didn't notice it printed under the Explorer badge on the gate. So what kind of repairs to the T Case are you suggesting?
  14. S

No not a control trac. At the trans shop today tranny oil totally scorched and dark as was the oil on the X-fer case both smelled like burnt varnish. Fluids in these systems completely changed. Trans old pro says bands needed a bit of adjustment but everything in the tranny and the case did...
  15. S

Thanks for the reply here. It's an OBDI and I have the reader. Haven't done it yet but am taking it to trans shop for a look tomorrow because we were planning to take it to Colorado on Monday for a week... Will ask them and report back.
  16. S

YES I Should not have loaned it to my mother-in -law. But now the 4 Hi and FWD lights flash and I can hear a relay behind dash clicking. Not still in FWD physically. Vehicle seems to drive OK, trans shop said to remove battery cables and join them together for 5 minutes. That smoothed out...
  17. S

2nd gen issues? Try this first!

Was your temp gauge occasionally moving from the normal position to just below the top of the scale then returns to normal quickly? This is what mine was doing and the condition returned shortly after I did the cleaning. It may have been unrelated but for the record the front left speaker...
  18. S

2nd gen issues? Try this first!

Glad I tried this first! Have had a temp gauge wild fluctuation for 2 years now that started out of the blue on a long drive back from out of state. Changed the senders and thermostat twice, water pump and radiator once and before I dug into the cluster to fix the gauge, I tried spraying...
  19. S

4L Coolant Gage Fluctuation

Ok, solved my own problem here. After using my infrared temp reader on the manifold behind the T-stat housing and watching the temp go from 195-245 degrees at idle, I discarded my theory about this being a sensor or gage issue. I took out the second new 195 deg Super Stant I installed and put...
  20. S

1995 exp 4l cel on

Thanks for the tip, however the problem was traced to EGR DP sensor. Replaced with one from Amazon and fixed CEL, surging and idle speed stumble. Car runs much more smoothly and accelerates better.:thumbsup:
  21. S

1995 exp 4l cel on

Ok, bought the Ford OBD1 Reader on Amazon ($30) and got a single 337 Code for the KOEO and left in memory as well. Code is "EGR CIRCUIT HI VOLTAGE". Any advise on where to start other than pulling the EGR valve? Anyone else received this code and done the repair to clear the code?
  22. S

1995 exp 4l cel on

More new info: Pep Boys does not have a OBD I tool to loan & Auto Zone and O'Rileys do not loan OBDs any more around here. I went to pull codes using the CEL and was surprised to learn that the CEL did not flash even once during the KOEO and KOER tests. When the CEL did come on as it has been...
  23. S

1995 exp 4l cel on

Ok, new information on the CEL condition this morning. On my 20 min drive to work CEL cycled on and off several times. I noticed a gentle engine surging at 40 MPH after which the CEL came on then went off after surge went away. When I parked and let idle with CEL on I noticed gentle surging...
  24. S

1995 exp 4l cel on

Oh Wow Mahalo Braddah! There is a wealth of information here for me and others. SLSNUT:)
  25. S

1995 exp 4l cel on

Car sat for a month and out of the blue on first start the CEL came on after 1-2 min. Shut car off then restarted and CEL came on again after 2 min or so. Checked the fuel cap and it was tight. Vehicle has 76K original miles. I did notice slight surging at around 50 MPH today. It has a...
Back