Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Changing Air Filter

Hello... I am new to doing maintenance on my Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC and was wondering if someone could tell me if there is an easy way to get the air filter cover up enough to change the air filter on a 1999 Explorer Sport? I am able to unlock the little clips on the side and pull it out from...
  2. F

Can't get brake light switch back on! Anybody help quick!

with a little help from my boss i got it on! thank god... now i can get it out of park and i have brake lights again! thanks for your help 410fortune! appreciate it!
  3. F

Still haven't gotten it back on... Does anyone have a picture of how the bushing is to sit in the switch before going on? I just don't understand why i can't get it on. i don't want to have to tow it. Anyone else that can help and stupid explorer owner?
  4. F

help! i still can't get it back on. :( i put the pin in to try to at least get it home and it won't let me get it out of park. can anyone help. i just can't seem to get the switch back on the brake arm. it just doesn't seem like the rod is long enough for the switch to fit on. is...
  5. F

Sorry i am so dumb with this stuff. I am young and trying to learn how to do things myself. So my brakes won't go out or anything if that is not on there? the two rods will stay together fine with just the pin in there? thanks so much for your help 410fortune. i really, really appreciate it.
  6. F

Another quick question if you can help... If i can't get this switch back on or it breaks or something can i drive my explorer home/to a shop without the brake switch on? Like, just put the pin back in and drive without break lights to a shop??
  7. F

I would have definitely looked at the old one, but when i pulled it off the bushing came flying out. does the bushing go inside the new switch with part of it sticking out so that it then slides underneath the other rod attached to the brake arm? thanks for your help so far. i guess i'll...
  8. F

I am at work and am trying to switch out my brake light switch... i got the old one off but can't get the new one on. it seems like the rod that it is supposed to slide onto is smaller than what the switch will fit. i have the correct switch though cause it is exactly the same as the old one...
  9. F

Wrong brake light switch?

I went to Ford today to purchase a brake light switch for my '99 explorer sport and when i looked under by my brake pedal it doesn't look anything like what they gave me. Could they have given me the wrong part? Are there different brake light switches per year or is this something that has...
  10. F

Help! No manual! What is the fuse for brake lights?

So the wire connection that I unclick and pull out should then plug into the new switch the same way? the switch doesn't go up somewhere else? The new switch that I got has 2 prongs while the plug that comes out has a bunch of different slots. I went to ford and told them I need a...
  11. F

I just went out to try to change it and the part that they gave me doesn't look like what should go on there. I have a 2 prong looking silver switch but on the arm of my brake pedal is a black plastic looking switch/box. Am i am not doing this right? Could someone help in anyway?
  12. F

You rock, aldive.... thanks for always helping out. i appreciate it.
  13. F

If I am replacing the brake light switch, which i think it is now, do i need to disconnect the battery or anything else before changing the switch?? Thanks so much!
  14. F

Help ... Brake light all out ...

Do i need to unplug my battery or anything before i replace the switch?
  15. F

Help ... Brake light all out ...

SteedaExplorer or Erik2173-- Could you guys explain to me how to change the brake light switch (maybe even supply a picture if you have a digital cam?). All of my lights are working (parking, signals, reverse) except all three of my brake lights so I went and purchased a brake light switch...
  16. F

Help! Trying to fix brake light switch! Hello- I am at my parents house and just realized that all three of my brake lights aren't working. When I turn my headlights on they light up but the lights for the brakes still do not work. My manual is at home... could someone tell me what fuse...
  17. F

Thoughts on the JVC KD-SX990

Awesome... thanks for the response. Yeah I found it on ebay a lot for like $145.00... plus 20 bucks for shipping though. On crutchfield i can get all of the wiring harnesses and accessories for free with it, and be able to return it for free within 30 days if I don't like it. I think I might...
  18. F

Thoughts on the JVC KD-SX990

Hello- I was just wondering if anyone has the JVC KD-SX990? I am looking at it on crutchfield and thinking about purchasing it today... I have the jvc 12 disc changer so I want something powerful but also compatible with that so that I do not have to run it through the FM modulator...
  19. F

Wires from overhead console to dome light?

Hello! I am wiring my overhead console (without a wiring harness) and am trying to figure out how to hook up the 2 wires to the dome light. When I pulled off the plastic cover and found the wires I only found one wire that ran between 2 screw holes. How do I splice into the dome light for...
  20. F

Car System Design Flowcharts

Daps- There is a program called "Visio" that you can use to layout plans and diagrams. It comes with shapes already loaded into it that you can grab and pull from a selection area. It's pretty cool for graphs, layouts and diagrams. You might be able to download a copy of it off of...
  21. F

Help! I blew a fuse or something?!

It was fuse #26 HokieBert- Just wanted to say Thanks A LOT for your advice on the fuse #26. I checked it this morning and it was that! Popped in a new 10amp fuse and my dome, windows and 4wd starting working fine. Thanks a lot for all your help! i appreciate it. This message board...
  22. F

Thanks for that info HokieBert. I will check on that fuse tonight after work. I guess if that fuse is not blown I will bring it to get checked out by professionals tomorrow anyways. I hope that it is just a blown fuse, but with my luck it will be the GEM. HokieBert- did you do...
  23. F

Thanks explorer4x493! I really appreciate your reponse. I guess this is something that you have to have the dealership/mechanic shop fix, huh? Nothing that you can do at home.... Man! There is always something!
  24. F

Crap... I was hoping it was going to be something easier than that. I did NOT have the GEM recall work done several years ago so it could be something with that. It just seems weird that all these things would go wrong right after I screwed with my dome light. Do you think that me messing...
  25. F

Hello- I could use a little help here... Yesterday I was messing with my dome light wire to start hooking up my overhead console. I decided not to do all the wiring of it and just hooked my dome light back up. After I put everything back together I realized my dome light is now NOT working...
Back