Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 2000StreetRod

Completed Project 2000 Sport Long term project vehicle

After almost 13 years of enjoyable “tinkering” with my Sport, I decided it was time to find it a new home. I’m now 75 years old and my arthritis in my knees makes it difficult to perform automotive maintenance/modifications. Also, my wife’s arthritis requires her to utilize a rollator or walker...
  2. 2000StreetRod

Thanks Donalds, Turdle. Can't seem to post reply in my "injector 1, 2, 3" thread.

According to my 2000 wiring diagrams injectors number 3, 5 & 6 are connected to splice S167 and injectors number 1, 2 & 4 are connected to splice S124. S124 gets power from S167. S167 gets power from C115. The red wire to each injector should have power whenever the PCM Power Relay is energized...
  3. 2000StreetRod

I'm doomed. Help

I suggest trying to isolate the source of the rattle using a flexible hose. With 242K miles the primary chain tensioner could have failed. Or, you could have low oil pressure which would result in the valve train being noisy. Other possibilities are failed rod or main bearing(s).
  4. 2000StreetRod

2010 Explorer, 172k. Should I do the tensioners?

SOHC V6 Pre-oiler DOHC V8 motorized pre-oiler
  5. 2000StreetRod

2010 Explorer, 172k. Should I do the tensioners?

I've heard reports that the springs in the newer tensioners are weaker than the original tensioners. If that's the case then the chains will not be taught until oil pressure builds up and there may be start up rattle. I suggest waiting for start up rattle before replacing the tensioners. I...
  6. 2000StreetRod

Rebuilt 4.0 SOHC - Bad Oil Pressure

You didn't answer my question about measuring the oil pressure. I'm not familiar with the Sport Trac but if its like my Sport the oil pressure "gauge" on the instrument cluster is just a glorified idiot light. It is activated by the oil pressure switch reading mid-range when the oil pressure is...
  7. 2000StreetRod

Rebuilt 4.0 SOHC - Bad Oil Pressure

One of a mechanic's worst fears is reassembling an engine and then having low oil pressure. Here are a few ideas. 1. If you used a lot of prelube during assembly it can rapidly clog a new filter causing the filter bypass to open which lowers the pressure. After engine reassembly I always replace...
  8. 2000StreetRod

Looking for torque specs on a cam and cam gear bolts

The head bolts are torque to yield but the camshaft sprocket retaining bolts are not.
  9. 2000StreetRod

Crapped another right bank timing cassette

I did enjoy that video. However, it raised questions. The check valve allows oil to flow from the side port into the cylinder which escapes thru the piston hole lubricating the contact with the cassette guide. The diameter of the piston hole is less than the diameter of the side port allowing...
  10. 2000StreetRod

Crapped another right bank timing cassette

Does the bolt push on the piston or the spring within the cylinder? A disadvantage of the stock configuration is inadequate spring pressure to keep the timing chain taught. This is why the chain rattles until oil pressure builds up and pushes the piston against the cassette guide. An advantage...
  11. 2000StreetRod

Supercharger install 9+lb boost! Full build

I started reading this thread yesterday and just finished. I thoroughly enjoyed it! I commend Donald for taking the time to document his boost installation and other forum members for offering advice and encouragement. It was an inspiring Father/Son team project fitting to read on Father's Day...
  12. 2000StreetRod

Does 2000 Mercury Mountaneer have a Factory Fuel Return Line

If you have a scanner it is very easy to read the engine coolant temperature PID. If the reading is cool when the ambient temperature is hot the PCM will cause a rich condition making engine start and idle unreliable.
  13. 2000StreetRod

Don't buy 3rd Gen with 4.0L

Frequently, there are warning signs: cold start rattle. If you're not using synthetic oil it takes longer for the tensioner to pressurize allowing slack in the chain. Or the upper part of the cassette guide positioner could be broken as shown below. If the lower part of the cassette guide...
  14. 2000StreetRod

75mm throttle body for 4.0L SOHC?

Yes, I used a drum sander to taper the bore of the spacer to match the outlet bore of the throttle body (76.2 mm) and the inlet bore of the intake manifold (64.7 mm). The throttle body inlet bore is 77.0 mm.
  15. 2000StreetRod

Please help with posting a picture of your 1995 Explorer XLT Power Distribution Box

Here's a link to the 96 Owners Manual: https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/96expog1e.pdf
  16. 2000StreetRod

Timing chain, or thrown rod?

An inspection scope inserted thru a spark plug opening is the easiest way to determine if there is a valve/piston clearance issue. If you don't have access to one you could pull the valve covers to inspect. However, it will be difficult to tell very much since you're limited to 35 degrees of...
  17. 2000StreetRod

Timing chain, or thrown rod?

The SOHC V6 is definitely an interference engine. The photo below shows "dings" from the piston striking the exhaust valves when the timing chain slipped. A stuck open valve would probably be pushed close when forcing the crankshaft to rotate with a breaker bar. However, a bent valve could...
  18. 2000StreetRod

1999 Explorer Fuse Box Diagram

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/99expog1e.pdf Passenger compartment fuse panel, page 181 Power distribution box, page 185
  19. 2000StreetRod

99 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC Help

I agree. The PCM "thinks" the engine is cold when the engine is actually warm which results in a rich fuel mixture. If you have a scanner you could read the engine coolant temperature. Otherwise, you can remove the connector to the ECT sensor (not the engine temperature sender) and measure the...
  20. 2000StreetRod

Rattling noise from engine compartment

My first pulls on a dynamometer back in 2009 were done to establish a stock performance baseline.
  21. 2000StreetRod

Rattling noise from engine compartment

The clutch is electromagnetic to engage the compressor. The compressor is the significant load on the engine when the clutch is energized. The compressor load on the engine increases with engine speed.
  22. 2000StreetRod

How to: Timing chain rattle resolution process - SOHC V6

I would suspect the primary chain tensioner has failed or the balance shaft chain tensioner if you have one.
  23. 2000StreetRod

IAT Sensor - On this engine... separate or integrated?

The 6 wire MAF sensors have the integrated IAT sensor. The 1st and 6th wire is associated with the IAT sensor. As I recall the short probe on the left of the MAF sensor is the IAT sensor.
  24. 2000StreetRod

Solved SOHC V6 Timing Chain Related PNs

The balance shaft has nothing to do with the camshafts. It is just timed relative to the crankshaft. You should never loosen or remove the balance shaft sprocket retaining bolt because there are no marks on the balance to align its sprocket. See the following thread to check the timing: How to...
  25. 2000StreetRod

Solved SOHC V6 Timing Chain Related PNs

Since both cams have the slots above the camshaft axes then the timing is not off but you will not be able to install the timing tool. If piston one is at TDC then it on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke which is determined by the camshafts. If all of the chains are installed...
Back