Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

98 Ford Explorer gears whining while decelerating plus no reverse.

had the same problem around xmas and rebuilt the transfer case myself, because everyone mentioning the shift rail bore. that totally took care of my reverse problem, and the bore had way to much play. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvHraRkRiP0 but the deceleration still happens. my heavy...
  2. R

Engine Sensors - Part 2 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor

Thanks for posting this Glacier991 just finished cleaning now to put it back in and find your thread on the TPS. as for the screw with the epoxy i just used vicegrips and spun it out, worked fine :) Thanks again
  3. R

1996 Explorer Sport Coolant leak

Sorry 96eb96 but where is your signature so i can look @ the truck CD, im currently looking into taking it apart to get to the lower intake gasket. thanks Rigger
  4. R

Borg Warner 44-05???

I finaly was able to open it up and the shaft that the shifter collar was on, its bored out hole was definately egg-shaped. I took some shim stock,wrapped enough around the shaft so that it was a tight fit, JB welded that stock shim into the hole with the shaft in there for pressure. After it...
  5. R

Rack and pinion intermitant???

after you had it changed did it act up again?
  6. R

wheels jerking side to side like crazy

ya it royally sucked, my instructor said he hasnt seen that in a very long time and only once before. i wish i wouldve gotten a video of it, everyone in the shop ran over to see what was going on it was definately quite the event
  7. R

no problem on the video .... pretty crazy eh. the torsion bar connects the steering column to the steering gear, its what turns the spool valve which sends the oil to the left side or right side. that connection is broken so my valve is just flailing back in forth sending my steering...
  8. R

already got the rack out, waiting on new one which will be here tomorrow. already got the "culprit" out so can easily grab a pic, my steering rack was pretty much the topic of the class lol. that piece was held in by a snap ring and 3/4"nut behind a rubber cap.
  9. R

haha i was waiting for that... torsion bar probably isnt the right word @ all, but where my rack connects to my steering column, that shaft thats inside the rack, which has the holes for the oil to power assist it to the left or right, that piece is messed up. (ill get the right name of the...
  10. R

heres a video of how my steering wheel and tires were going. not quite that bad in the steering wheel but pretty much the same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSbjgXbDUzo has anyone had this problem before? (not the vid but what ive explained)
  11. R

my torsion bar in my steering box broke, it was VIOLENTLY shaking between 2-4. im taking my heavy duty mechanics course and my instructor has only seen that once before, because of this reason. its the same thing as if i put my power steering hoses on backwards in a non intrical power system...
  12. R

my front tires when i turn the steering wheel jerk back and forth real bad, so i took off the belt and ran it without the power steering pump engaged and it worked fine. when i hooked the belt back up it did the same thing. now is that my steering rack busted or now something not allowing...
  13. R

BW 4405 shift ramp

ahhh very useful thanks alot, 2hi n 2lo is that something like an overdrive?
  14. R

BW 4405 shift ramp

ok so now that it may be my clutch plates, that would mean that i am in 4x4 because they only engage when in either 4x4H or 4x4L is that correct? GMANPAINT - thanks alot ill definately try all that,
  15. R

BW 4405 shift ramp

ok so my TC may be in 4x4 i will definately unplug the electrical connectors and test it the clutch plates looked fine when i was on the inside, is there something noticable that maybe i missed when i had the TC apart?
  16. R

BW 4405 shift ramp

well i hope its not a ramp problem, just in another thread someone mentioned "Your in 4HI or 4LO, take it out of 4WD. Your tires shudder because as you go around a corner with the 4 wheel drive engaged, all 4 wheels are turning at different speeds" this then made me think maybe my tc is in...
  17. R

BW 4405 shift ramp

ya sorry bout that, it was the front wheels shaking when i turned the wheel while backing out, what happens while the truck is off tires that would cause this? thanks alot ill let you know how things work out when i get back to the shop tomorrow :)
  18. R

BW 4405 shift ramp

is it possible to install the shift ramp shaft in wrong? i just rebuilt my transfercase due to the infamous shift rail bore issue. That went fine but after checking all my fluids and backing out of the lift, my tires would start to shake when trying to turn the wheels, so drove it back in...
  19. R

now this... can someone please help??

as we were locking up that idea jumped in our heads, but it went in in 2wd. so if thats the case maybe its possible that i installed the shift ramp backwards?
  20. R

Left Side sits lower than right

you try turnin the nut on your torsion bar? i had the same problem it will raise/lower the side your working on and a 1/4-1/2 turn does alot
  21. R

well it doesnt work fine now, thats why im here. before i put the transfercase back in we couldnt drive truck back into the shop, so we had to push it, when we did that it was fine. i put transfercase back in, went to back it out (driving) the tires shook when turning, could feel it in steering...
  22. R

i just rebuilt my transfercase due to the infamous shift rail bore issue. That went fine but after checking all my fluids and backing out of the lift, my tires would start to shake when trying to turn the wheels, so drove it back in and am now stumped. any ideas or knowledge would be great...
  23. R

How to: The Borg Warner 4405 Transfer Case Rebuild Diary

also when people describe the whhhrrrrriiinnngggg noise when explaining a shift rail bore issue what exactly is causing the whhhrrrriiiinnngggg noise? thanks alot
  24. R

How to: The Borg Warner 4405 Transfer Case Rebuild Diary

glacier, where can i find an exploded view of the BW 4405 like you have but with names of parts? i cant find one anywhere. i have mine apart and was also wondering the "shift rail bore issue" is that pin that holds the shift collar? should there be no free play when it sits in the housing? i...
  25. R

Slips in reverse

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246606 could this be it?
Back