Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Reverse slipping

I recently had my '01 SportTrac tranny rebuilt because it would not engage in reverse. Now it slips in reverse in 2WD, especially when the truck has been driven a few miles, especially under load (like going uphill). No codes come up on the tranny. Trans place says there is a problem in the...
  2. C

Oil Pump Removal

There was also gasket material, 1-2 inch chunks and smaller, in the bottom of the pan, and a bunch of very small pieces stuck to the inlet screen. I sprayed it down with solvent (brake cleaner is what I used), then used an air hose. I did this a few times to loosen all the little pieces of...
  3. C

Oil Pump Removal

Thanks. One thing I forgot to mention is that I had the whole truck up on stands about as high as I could get it, so I could move around with relative ease. I could actually roll over on my creeper while underneath. That and a good pair of safety glasses kept most of the gunk out of my eyes...
  4. C

Oil Pump Removal

I thought I would post a new thread. So many people in this discussion group as well as every shop manual I read told me I had to remove the engine in order to replace the oil pump. After doing a lot of search on this board to get tips on removing the engine, one person, 99EB4x4, said he did...
  5. C

oil pump replacement

Dealer only part, I think. It was a year ago I priced them, then decided to live with it. There are 12 of them, and they are 50 or so bucks a piece. I about choked. I take it back, they are not dealer only, but they are pricey no matter where you get them.
  6. C

oil pump replacement

Pump is fifty bucks, lifters are 500-600 for a set, if I remember correctly. I can get a lower mileage engine out of a wrecked X for that price.
  7. C

Water in engine

TOY I had this happen to my 81 Toyota truck. Tough little truck, but I took a LARGE puddle too fast and sucked water in. Engine killed, and I tried immediately to start it again. That was a mistake. It turned over a couple times, then nothing. Someone towed me out of the middle of the 1-1...
  8. C

oil pump replacement

91 xlt lifter clatter oil pump prob I have had lifter clatter for about 2 years now, off and on to start, now it is constant. Occasionally at idle it will get quieter, then louder, then quieter. The last few months I have had an oil pressure guage that reads normal if I rev or am driving, but...
  9. C

Clunk in 4 Wheel

Did you have the auto hubs that went out? Did you repair them, or did you have to replace them?
  10. C

Clunk in 4 Wheel

It was pulling fine going uphill, so I am sure it was going into 4 wheel. The clunking only happened occasionally, like when the truck would buck going over a rock or something. And it was very loud. Could it be that one or both hubs was turning itself out, then back in again? I have a...
  11. C

Clunk in 4 Wheel

Thanks for the advice. It makes no noise in 2 wheel on regular roads. I was running downhill on a steep grade in rugged terrain. I was letting the engine slow me, so I was only braking occasionally.
  12. C

Clunk in 4 Wheel

I bought my Exp a couple years ago from a woman who who was selling it to get a minivan to transport her two kids (with no plans for more, her husband reported). From what I understand, she rarely, if ever, took it offroad (or used the 4 wheel drive). That said, I have only taken it on...
Back