Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Selling my Ex

Well It's been almost 2 years since i bought my Explorer and I've loved every minute of it. But I bought it when gas was only $2.40 a gallon and now I'm getting murdered at the pump every week. I'm going to miss my Ex and all I've put into it but I'm getting a great deal on a Focus Hatch...
  2. J

Spare tire-What would you do?

If it's not the same size as the rest of the tires i would caution against using it. I had to use my original spare once with my 265/70R17s and the auto 4x4 did not like that one bit. I only had to go 5 miles as well as kept the speed under 25 MPH (in a 40 MPH zone). The age isn't an issue...
  3. J

What does it mean?

This will explain what Advance Trac is: http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=20679 Traction control is only part of the Advance Trac package.
  4. J

Battery lights up at higher rpms?

When mine did that it ended up being a bad alternator. Eventualy you will start noticing it at any RPM over 3000. Did Autozone load test the alternator?
  5. J

steering problem

How low was the fluid? You might have air in the system and it needs to be bled. It's easy to do. you just turn the wheel full lock in each direction a couple of times then check the fluid level. It might take a few cycle to get the air out. If that doesnt fix it, you prob need a new...
  6. J

Fusion Key?

I have one. I got a cheap one off ebau for $35. i wish i spent $70 on the OEM factory blank. The ebay ones just feel cheap, and though they look like the keys for my 2006 Fusion, they feel nothing like them.... and the range sucks. I can unlock my Fusion from over a block away as long as...
  7. J

Whistle at idle

I recently noticed that my engine make a whistling sound at idle. It's pretty loud and a few people have commented about it. Is there any common cause I should look for? Or is this completely normal? It's a 4.0L SOHC with a gutted airbox and paper filter BTW. Nothing seems out of place or...
  8. J

How to change your 2005 V6's PCV Valve

I just looked this part up on Rock Auto. The motorcraft electric PCV is $25 from there. The electrical connection is to heat it. I guess that is the only difference. They are either coolant heated or electric heat. Oh, part number for the electric one: MOTORCRAFT Part # EV261...
  9. J

Lugs stuck...

I turned my dad's lug nut wrench for his Grand Cherokee into a pretzel a couple weeks ago because a shop did this exact same thing. I ended up using my lug wrench (much stronger) and a 3 ft breaker bar on it just to get them to budge.
  10. J

04 Ford Explorer V6 Worsening MPG!

Try tacking your gas milage by filling the tank and dividing the miles driven between fills by the number of gallons. The gas guage is incredibly inaccurate and is a horrible way to determine how fuel efficient your truck is. That will give you some solid numbers to work with.
  11. J

Sport Trac Frame Swap?

The 01 - 05 Sport Track rides on the old GenII Explorer frame (Ranger frame) and is nothing close to out frame. The 06+ Sport track is on a stretched 4th gen frame which is much closer to ours. The problem with that is they too had IRS. Either way, the frame is longer than your Explorer for...
  12. J

Coolant and brake fluid change

what did you do to replace the brake fluid? Did you flush the lines or just use a turkey baster and pull the fluid out of the reservior?
  13. J

a thirdkey key from ebay

I used one from a 2006 fusion. It programmed fine with my 2 existing keys. Watch out though. A lot of the cheapper ones advertise as original OEM keys and are nothing but cheap knockoffs. The one I ended up with was advertised as an OEM key and even stamped FoMoCo inside with a part...
  14. J

Inconsistent vibration after new tires

I checked the bearings by jacking up the front of the truck and grabbing the wheel and shaking... no play. The diff level is fine. I replaced the fluid a little over a month ago. This problem started before the changed the diff fluid.
  15. J

I'm pretty sure its not the driveshafts on mine. I get a wobble through the steering wheel. Even though my bearings dont seem loose, thats the only thing I think it could be which would cause vibration and allow the tire to hit the spindle.
  16. J

Back in November i bought a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers in 265/70R17. Since then I have had a vibration in the steering wheel that comes and goes. Its always at highway speeds of over 65 MPH. The shop that installed them already rechecked the balancing and it was fine. I watched the machine...
  17. J

people in CT?

I live in New Britain on the Plainville line. I can't do much hardcore off-roading as I'm working with a stock suspension and 265/70R17 Terra Grappler ATs. I do have friends with some serious Jeeps though.
  18. J

Weapon Type-R Performance Intake

Is the breather hose kinked? If it is you need a longer hose to get rid of the kink.
  19. J

Changing Plugs Using Old Wires or Should You Change The Wires As Well?

A bad O2 sensor will five you a Check Engine Light. If it were my money I would do plugs, wires, fuel filter, clean MAF.
  20. J

third gen full interior swap (2002-2005)

If you dont want to worry about wiring, you can always just swap the seat covers over. They are easy to get on and off. Yeah, your seats wont have heat or power, but they will be leather.
  21. J

Chamberlain/LiftMaster Remotes on visor??

I have to flip my visor down so my Genie remote has line of site. This is the the new style 3 button remote. My parents also have a genie opener (12 years old). I have one on there for their house and that one works with the visor up.
  22. J

Help! 4.0L V6 SOHC Timing chain

If the rest of the truck is in good condition, you may want to just pick up a used motor with low milage. It sounds like timing chain skipped and you slapped a piston with the valves. Turning the motor by hand should NOT take all your strength but should not be easy either.
  23. J

Brakes grinding when stopping in snow.

That is the ABS doing its job. Extend your stopping distances and don't slam on the brake pedal in the snow.
  24. J

Driving a car

Every time I drive my wife's Fusion (which used to be my car) I slam my foot into the left side of the floor well when I park it... oops. My wife laughs at me every time i do it too.
  25. J

Small round switch by parking brake...what is this???

The factory reverse sensors beep from the headliner in the back near the hatch. You will also have an OFF switch to the left of the steering column if it is factory. That, i can tell you, is not factory.
Back